Join now - be part of our community!

Native video app on Android 9

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

Native video app on Android 9

Hi guys,

does anybody know if there is a way to disable autoplay in the native media player app on Android 9.0? 
I have an external hard drive connected to the tv, several videos on it. Since the app has to load the full movies in order to autoplay them, it cause the whole app to freeze and force close. 
Any help is appreciated, many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately I don't know a direct way to disable the auto play function.

But maybe if you disable the permissions in the app menu to access any storage devices this would help.

However, you might have to use a different video app afterwards.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem. I could disable the application, for the same result.

I don't understand why Sony (or Google) decided not to have an option to disable autoplay in the menu. Like this every single file has to be fully loaded, not just a few kilobytes thumbnail... It's just silly

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It is designed in this way. You have two options: 

• use the native video app via DLNA (that is quite more easy to manage if you connect the USB drive to a DLNA capable device such as a router or a PC). In this way you get the video quality of the native app without the scanning of any media on it
  • use a different player. I like Nova player but there are plenty
profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

My first choise has always been Kodi, in case native app wasn't working for some reason (mostly DTS sound issues, android 8.0). Since it's been fixed, it would be nice to keep using it. Maybe I'm weird, but I lke native video app. Anyway, it would be nice to have a choice to customize it and disable autoplay.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You are not weird, the stock app use internal api that render the video better than any other app. I guess they won't change easily the app itself since it has been like this since 2015. What I suggested (and I do) is using it only over the network via DLNA (I have a NAS but a PC or a router will suffice) and so skipping over the initial scan. I find it better in any case than connecting/disconnecting the drive any time I want to add a new video.