Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix 4K/Dolby Vision - Bluetooth issue (KD-49XF9005)

lpanos
New

Netflix 4K/Dolby Vision - Bluetooth issue (KD-49XF9005)

Hello,

I have the Sony Bravia KD-49XF9005.

Software version Android Tv Oreo 6.6520.

When I use my bluetooth speakers or headphones, Netflix 4K/Dolby Vision content won’t play-neither they appear as a preview icon.

When I turn off tv’s bluetooth, they appear again and the content goes 4k/Dolby Vision again.

I tried both uninstall updates in Netflix app and cleared cache and data. Also, I reset the TV, but still nothing.

Please is there a solution?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.RO.title
adrdbr
Explorer

Hi guys,

I have the same exact issue even with the latest firmware update from Sony and lastest Netflix app version.

With the Bluetooth  connected, any 4k video on Netflix won't play. I get this error message:IMG_20200728_120701.jpg

As soon as I unplug the headphones from the TV and restart, the 4k Netflix video will play.

If the Bluetooth receiver is turned-off, but still connected to the TV, the video will not play. So it needs to be unplugged from the TV's USB port.

Note that Prime video 4k videos play without any issues with the Bluetooth active, so the issue is related to how Netflix interacts with the Sony connected hardware.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

AS already reported in this thread this is considered normal operation and due to Netflix app restrictions.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00202828

profile.country.RO.title
adrdbr
Explorer

The link provided does not address the issue at hand.

The 4k videos from Netflix does not play on the Sony TV when a Bluetooth device is used.

How can you believe that the resolution to this problem is saying to disconnect the device? 

Why does Sony advertise the Netflix integration with a physical button if NOT all scenarios are covered?

Is this a situation where the customer needs to play ping-pong between Netflix's Support and Sony's Support to have it solved?

Isn't there any internal communication exchanged between Netflix and Sony to have this issue solved through a Netflix or Sony upgrade?

It is disappointing to see that the solution is to not use the Sony product to its capabilities.

Just an idea: what if we all that have this issue start returning the TV's because we were lied it has Bluetooth capabilities and fully integrated with Netflix (see the button on the remote)?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I do not understand you comment sincerely. Given that also for me Netflix should work at maximum resolution regardless on how I want to hear the sound, netflix should work in any case but in 1080p instead of 4k so which is the claim you have on the button presence on the remote?

And the situation is quite clear (as you yourself checked with other apps): it's up to netflix app to reduce the availability of 4k based on the presence of a bluetooth device, so you should complain with them

profile.country.RO.title
adrdbr
Explorer

My point is that for me Netflix does not play 4k at all; I get an error message.

Maybe, in your case, 4k plays as 1080p, but I get an error message.

At the same time, Netflix says that Sony should solve this issue.

Screenshot_20200730-104300.jpg

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

My own tv does not even show the title available as 4k when bluetooth is enabled. At least it did, since I do not have a netflix subscription anymore. In any case I suggest you to push on netflix, since it is the app that nehave in this way. Unofficial information told me that the bluetooth device is recognized by the app as a potential break for pirates download 

profile.country.DE.title
digitalray

They told me the same, I argued a long time with Netflix and they insisted that is a Sony TV problem, maybe related to Android system drivers as the system reports to Netflix that both at the same time is not possible.

I went with Sony more than 6 months ago and had a months-long forth and back, trying everything with their support, removing all hdmi inputs, firmware updates, complete reset of the TV and other things, nothing worked, then they told me to get back when the team finds a solution, that was 6 months ago, I asked again last week and they said they are sorry, and the research department hasn't got any solution so far. 

I guess they don't have the time or hardware in this TV to make it possible and that's why they put the info up on the Sony faq that its simply not possible with a Sony TV and Netflix to use Bluetooth headphones and 4k (& hdr  btw) at the same time.

It might simply be Android related in the end why Sony cant use their hardware to do it and Netflix because their system is coded on specific Android driver inputs.

Google play video can do it, so it seems it might really be Netflix who is in charge here to fix that.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What I can say is that there is noway that Android will tell to Netflix app that it cannot handle both at the same time. and indeed it does on Prime or youtube. It is a very old problem raised if I remember well 2 years ago, than a new version of the app was released and was working for a certain period. Than all of a sudden it started again and that article appeared on sony website. So at least they should be aware of the root cause, probably they don't want to tell you