Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix 4k motion judder

profile.country.GB.title
benfromwigan
Explorer

Netflix 4k motion judder

I recently purchased a 49xg8369 4k TV.  This wasn't my 1st choice but the one I wanted had crazily splayed out stand feet which wouldnt fit on my existing tv cabinet.

I have been searching for optimal settings for the various sources such as our normal tv viewing and netflix.  I have seen people suggesting that motionflow should be on "cinema pro" and film mode should be "high" when watching 4k Netflix.  I watched some of the documentary "Dont [edited by moderator to remove asterisked profanity] with cats" which is displayed as "ultra 4k hd" when it starts.  There is a lot of scrolling text and moving around of text on the screen at the beginning and the scrolling text looked awfull. It was really juddery and I saw about 3 versions of the same letter as it ghosted across the screen.  Is this how it is supposed to look or would look in the cinema??  I did a quick rewind and switched from "cinema pro" to "smooth" and the scrolling text actually scrolled instead of juddering across the screen.  This new tv with all its different fancy settings is driving me nuts!  My mrs is going mad at me for keeping fiddling with the settings but im just not happy with the motion settings.  I never had these issues with my old basic samsung with not fancy settings.  Can someone please clear up what settings work well for viewing netflix 4k hd stuff on an XG83 tv.

Thanks in advance....please help before my mrs kills me.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @benfromwigan,

sometimes it is definetly the case that the "enhancements" do more bad than good.

I personally tend to turn everything off, which changes the signal and use my TV more like a PC-monitor (so just as a panel which displays the signal it is feed).

I think maybe @LightFoot or @dutchice can assist you in finding the optimal settings.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
benfromwigan
Explorer

I went to the cinema yesterday and noticed the similar juddery movements in fast moving objects. Maybe this is how they are supposed to be and cinema pro setting recreates this? Maybe I'v become to transfixed on this issue lol. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @benfromwigan,

while movies are generally recorded in 24p (or to be completely correct 23,97p), while judder is to be expected, seeing a "ghost" if the last frame should not be the case, even on fast moving objects.

- Nic