Join now - be part of our community!

No catch up APPS connection

profile.country.GB.title
giaccio
Explorer

No catch up APPS connection

I'm really annoyed that my new Android 43XG81 will not connect with catch up apps - ITV Hub, All 4, My 5 - apart from BBC iplayer. I cannot find a solution here on the support/community site. Can someone confirm that it is just not possible - It's a shame, I love the picture quality and functionality of this TV but one of the main reasons for buying was the catch up services. I will return the TV if there is no solution 

I have updated the system. I have fibre connection and download speed of over 60mb/s. I'm located in North West UK.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

Have you enabled YouView on your TV? You can see more details on how to set this up here.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Sean 

profile.country.GB.title
giaccio
Explorer

Apologies Sean, I didn't know until today that anybody had responded.

I've been in 'conversation' with SONY support about this matter since 15th March with no solution to date. I think there's a fault with the TV but 'support' do not seem to be willing to go down that route. They have responded with some very odd comments - "We would like to highlight that we do not guarantee the functionality of the TV while using it in general.”. I have no idea what this means and have had no further explanation.

The TV now continually but intermittently, every 2 or 3 minutes flashes up on screen notifications - “Wi-Fi not connected” (Top right of screen) - "You are no longer connected to the internet…” (bottom middle of screen) followed shortly by "Wi-Fi connected”/“You are now connected”. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi @giaccio it's too difficult to understand which could be the problem, but it seems related probably to your network setup. One think that you may try to avoi completely the problem is to wire your tv to the router rather than using wifi (that is the best option in any case even if wifi was working).

If you have physical obstacle to use a LAN cable you may buy for few pounds a pair of powerlink.

profile.country.GB.title
giaccio
Explorer

Thank you Rooobb.

One of my reasons for purchasing this particular TV was its advertised facility to connect wirelessly to the internet. Maybe I'm not tech savvy enough to understand but how come I can get all the 'catch up' services and other digital channels on my laptop, through the same router/network?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi @giaccio I was answering to the question related to WIFI. Any modern TV spot a wireless connection and it works flawlessy in 90% of the cases, ont the remaining you have to be tech savvy or ask to someone he is unfortunately . Or workaround using a better wired connection.

On the catch problem it may still be related to network but you didn't answer to the question about Youview.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@giaccio  ha scritto:

[..]how come I can get all the 'catch up' services and other digital channels on my laptop, through the same router/network?

What do yuu mean by "laptop"? Who mentioned using a laptop?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb 

@giaccio was contrasting his ability to get the catchup services easily and seamlessly on the WiFi on his laptop with the difficulty he has of maintaining a stable WiFi connection on the TV.

Such a contrast, providing he is operating the laptop in about the same spot that he has the TV in, would tend to rule out router or WiFi strength issues. Though it would be useful to know how many bars of WiFi show up on the laptop - three, two or one?

But he still hasn't said if he is using the YouView interface on the TV or not; without this having been set up, and itv and Channel 4 tuned in, the itv and All4 catchup players will not work; so we need to know if this has been done. And maybe it needs to be done for Channel 5 as well; though both this and the BBC iPlayer should work on the Freeview side of these sets, as is not the case for the other two.

A direct Ethernet wire to the router needs to be tried instead of the WiFi though, even if only temporarily, to see if everything then works or not.

I do recall that recalcitrant WiFi setups can often be cured by going into the WiFi settings and changing something that ought not to matter; but I can’t recall exactly what that was. Swapping something from automatic to manual, or similar. Maybe someone else will recall?

Odd though, if this is flaky WiFi, that the BBC iPlayer is OK; I would expect that to be affected by the issue, same as the other catchup players.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

sure @royabrown2 I was addressing the wifi issue only and reminded him to answer the question about youview. Regarding the wifi setting some have found benefit disabling IPV6 on some router brands. But this can be only one tip out of hundreds regarding wifi connection (frequency, band, static ip vs DHCP ...) that have to be analyzed in detail and if he has not the knowledge the easiest way is to avoid wifi alltogether (that in any case is the best solution for quality streaming)

profile.country.GB.title
giaccio
Explorer

Sorry. Thank you all for trying to help. I am grateful.

Thank Roy for understanding what my point was, I thought maybe I had explained it badly.

So. Yes, Youview set up.