Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia shiled tv display settings not showing hdr detected

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

Nvidia shiled tv display settings not showing hdr detected

ive plugged in my NVidia shield tv  device into HDMI 3  which is  one of the faster HDMI ports on my  65  xe9305  and also  configured the port  on the tv to 4k enhanced but my shield still doesn't see tro be  detecting the   display capability of the tv as 4k hdr it recommends and sees the tv as ( display properties ) 3840 x2160 59.940 hz   YUV 420 10 bit rec 2020. I tested   by playing some 4k hdr test  videos using kodi but its not triggering hdr mode  on the tv. the same content when played  fron a usb storage device I plug it into the tv plays and triggers hdr mode which   can be seen in the action/ display menu and it looks awesome. only thing I  can think off is to try a different HDMI  cable is there anything else I should look at and  try/ test??

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

3840 x2160 59.940 hz   YUV 420 10 bit rec 2020

this is the maximum the port can support as hdmi 2.0. If Kodi doesn't trigger HDR it could be a problem of the app, try another service such as YouTube...

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

according to the  manual the ports support  4K at 60Hz

ive ruled the app out because playing the test content with other apps like vlc on the NVidia shield tv also  dont get detected by the tv as  HDR.  playing the content using the  Sony's built in apps work  correctly  ant detects and triggers  hdr mode.

the issue seems to be   between the tv and the nvidea shield. for some reason the  tv's/ HDMI's capabilities are not  detected correctly by the Nvidea  shield I'm going to  try another HDMI cable to see if its a comms  problem between the tv and the shield's HDMI ports. ive attached a  phot here to show what the dispthis is what it should look like if detected correctlythis is what it should look like if detected correctlylay settings on  a shield should look like if it  correctly detects te TV's display capabilities

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

ok ive managed to  resolve this.

apparently the formats shown in the screenshot which I  posted  only show if running sw version 18.1 which iswhy the newest devices see those listed older models like  mine wont show them w  till s/w version  18.1 is rolled out to the older devices. that will happen once  all the bugs in  in 18 have been  sorted out.

Another thing worth mentioning to those who have nvidea shields connected to thier xe 93's.  theamazon hdr content was dark despite it being flagged and detected as hdr once i set the hdmi port settings to   enhanced 4k to get  the content to trigger  hdr mode and I  then had to turn the hdr video  range setting to  full from auto in order to get a brighter image.