Join now - be part of our community!

Optical Out AF9

profile.country.GB.title
Turnbacktime
Explorer

Optical Out AF9

Should I be able to get PCM audio from the optical out on my AF9 when the selected source is my SkyQ box via HDMI?

I can’t seem to get it to work despite trying all the support recommendations I can find. Have found a web article that says that the optical out MAY not send audio when the TV is fed via HDMI. Not sure if “may” means won’t or if there is something else that might stop it.

Soundbar is Q Acoustics M4 and it works fine when connected to a Samsung KS7000 fed from the same Sky Q box. AF9 is set to output PCM from the digital audio out as that is what the M4 takes.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If I' right about the specification of your soundbar, you have both options to connect it to your AF9: via optical or via bluetooth. And it should send the signal in any case. Try the BT option if you can

profile.country.GB.title
Turnbacktime
Explorer

Soundbar will take BT so I will try it. But first instructions I looked at said that BT audio might be delayed, and can’t see an easy way to adjust that out. For all it was a terrible set the KS did make this type of thing easy.

BTW,just double checked at AF9 isn’t putting out anything in optical at all, except a red light down the fibre, doesn’t work on internal tuner or streamed video.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Bt isn't the best way sure but try it.
Regarding optical it should be always on even if you do not set the TV to use an external audio system and when you see the red light it should means that the TV is sending something. It works for any source . At least on mine a1
profile.country.GB.title
Turnbacktime
Explorer

Managed to pair the set with the Soundbar on BTand that works OK for getting audio through, but the A/V is too far out to be acceptable when people are talking. I reckon 2-3 frames. But still nothing at all when using the optical connection.

Took the sound bar and plugged it into an old KDL4000 Sony and it worked straight away so happy the sound bar is working.

have done a soft reset on the TV and that has made no difference.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Really strange behaviour since the optical out is very easy. I do not use it so much (just as a workaround for the first bugged Oreo version) since my HT have an HDMIARC socket.... Did you set it as external audio system (it should not change anything apart switching from PCM stereo to multichannel...)?

profile.country.GB.title
Turnbacktime
Explorer

Yes set it as an external audio system. I am baffled. Will try and find a couple of hours when the family doesn’t want to watch the set and start from scratch again. If that doesn’t work might try an external HDMI to TOSLINK converter off the eARC port.

profile.country.GB.title
Turnbacktime
Explorer

I am no longer baffled. Irritated but not baffled. In Sound settings under advanced settings there is something called digital audio volume that, I think, only appears once you have selected audio system rather than TV speakers. It was set to minimum, I assume that is what it defaults to as I had never seen that adjustment before. Crank that up and it works.

dont really understand why they need a volume setting for digital audio, it seems to say it only acts on PCM not DD etc.

But there you go. Thanks for the help.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Strange... by default it should be Max. Anyway good for you that you found out the solution