Join now - be part of our community!

Optical output

profile.country.GB.title
iany1954

Optical output

I have a KD-49XG9005 connected to a STR-DH790 system using hdmi. I wish to have an auxiliary audio out (to drive an audio loop system for hard of hearing). Is the TV optical out active under all circumstances (both using the tv tuners or the hdmi route from the home theater)? Need to know as there is no aux out from the STR-DH790 and the TV headphone/Bluetooth output is not active when the STR-DH790 is in use.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@iany1954 wrote:

I have a KD-49XG9005 connected to a STR-DH790 system using hdmi. I wish to have an auxiliary audio out (to drive an audio loop system for hard of hearing). Is the TV optical out active under all circumstances (both using the tv tuners or the hdmi route from the home theater)? Need to know as there is no aux out from the STR-DH790 and the TV headphone/Bluetooth output is not active when the STR-DH790 is in use.

I don't have a HDMI sound system connected to my XG9005 but what I can tell you is this, if your TV is set to TV sound output the (Action Button > Speakers > TV) then the optical connection does transmit 2CH PCM sound to the sound system. If you set it to output to speakers (Action Button > Speakers > Sound System) it will output multichannel audio. So the likely answer is yes but, unfortunately I can't physically test this for you.

I think all the Sony TVs based on the old mediatec SoC do the same. My feeling is both HDMI and Optical will be active but as I said I can't test this. Maybe someone else either knows for sure or can test.

profile.country.GB.title
iany1954

That sounds positive. I do get output under both tv speaker settings but I cannot be sure when using the amplifier as the input selection becomes greyed out when connected by hdmi. I have managed to get the Bluetooth (and headphone) to output at all times by careful programming of my Logitech Harmony. This though is not ideal and I’d prefer to use the optical out if possible (less latency).  A definititive answer would be useful to save me buying the wrong type of transmitter. Many thanks for your comments.