Join now - be part of our community!

oreo upgrade a nightmare

profile.country.GB.title
jsaxton
Explorer

oreo upgrade a nightmare

Hi I have just upgraded my KD-49XE8004 TV to Android Oreo. What a nightmare, after the upgrade the tv rebooted itself after half an hour. Sony support told me to solve this i must do a factory reset. Did this , however now I am trying to reload some of the apps i had on but cannot find anywhere in the settings to allow downloads from other sources. Used to be in the security settings. Anybody now how i can get round this.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@jsaxton wrote:

cannot find anywhere in the settings to allow downloads from other sources. Used to be in the security settings. Anybody now how i can get round this.

It's still there in "Security and limitations" (translated from Italian). Although I have multiple choices now in Android 8. And I have no idea what they are for. But I see there is an entry for X-plore as well (which I have installed on mine), so I suppose enabling it X-plore is allowed to install any app.

profile.country.GB.title
jsaxton
Explorer

Thanks followed your advice and have managed to install my apps. Was a fruitless task though as Mr TV still keeps rebooting  Have realised that this happens when I switch on my nord VPN. Obviously oreo 8.0 doesn't like it. So tried other vpn's but the same thing happens. Wish I had never updated as it didn't happen before then. 

profile.country.HR.title
materak
Explorer

i confirm with Kd XF 9005

The sony is on the move we have to wait !!!!!!!!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@jsaxton wrote:

Mr TV still keeps rebooting  Have realised that this happens when I switch on my nord VPN.

That's not because Oreo, though. It's an old bug, I had found it in Android 6.0. Simply put, if any VPN app is installed and runnning, when there is a network 'switch" (like when you put the TV to sleep and then wake it up) Android... reboots! It has to do with some libc (thus Linux's) broken library. It has never been fixed by Mediatek.

profile.country.GB.title
jsaxton
Explorer

Sorry about the late reply. What I do t understand is before the update ie android 7.1  it worked. Anyway just had a new main board fitted but alas still rebooting when connected to Nord VPN.. I tried 3 other VPN and the same thing happens. I can't believe that after what seems 3 years of people experiencing the problem Sony have not sorted it out. They should at least make it clear to customers that it is not compatable with VPN usage. I assume that Sony look at this site so would be interested in their comment. 

profile.country.GB.title
jsaxton
Explorer

Well looks like Sony has been defeated on this matter. It would appear that they have no intention of rectifying this Fault. 

So bewear if you want an Android TV that you can connect safely to the Internet via a VPN, do not buy a Sony bravia TV, as you cannot use ANY VPN  on it.

So unhappy about this and for that reason I will not purchase another Sony product. 

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi jsaxton,

I agree with @Jecht_Sin. I'll also try to pass your feedback regarding this to Sony.

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
spydj1a
Explorer

Have exactly the same issue. Can no longer use a VPN as TV reboots between 10-20 mins. I requested a backout, but Sony say this is not possible. Shocking customer service. Basically then cannot guarantee apps on a Sony TV!  I wish I'd have bought a non Sony Android TV and just invested in a Nvidia Shield. Something that actually works. Note to self... dont buy Sony ever again!  Especially one that cost £2000!   

profile.country.GB.title
jsaxton
Explorer

Hi everyone been a while but just sorted the problem out. A simple fix. Sony TV's do not run well while running ipv6 on routers. Simply log into your router settings and disable ipv6. I did this 8 hours ago and installed and connected my VPN  and so far the TV has not  rebooted. If it doesn't work for you simply reverse the actions. Good luck

John