Join now - be part of our community!

Oreo upgrade - Cannot use onscreen keyboard

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Nigey74
Explorer

Oreo upgrade - Cannot use onscreen keyboard

Hi All

Ok so i downloaded and installed the Oreo update for my kd-55xd7005 tv and now have an issue where if i click on any enter text box (like entering wi fi password or doing a search on the home screen) then the on screen keyboard no longer pops up so i can't enter anything and the cursor just sits there flashing.

I have tried changing keyboards and even stopping and starting the keyboard service but still no joy.

Any ideas on how to fix this as at the moment my tv us pretty useless.

Cheers nigey74 

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
DODDSY1971
Explorer

thanks...

gone for this beauty,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Keyboard-Jelly-Comb-Rechargeable/dp/B07BNKV756/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_en...

although i shoudn't need to right. 🙂

Kaz_M94
Explorer

We shouldn't have to discount a wireless mouse because of the new upgrade! If it was possible to have both wireless mouse plus on-display keyboard before, then why is it any different now? Unacceptable from SONY! They need to fix this issue in an update ASAP!

profile.country.GB.title
Kink43
Explorer

Took me a while to figure it out. I have a touchpad plugged in and stops the keyboard displaying onscreen. Bit rubbish really as touchpad isn't alway convenient. So end up having to out down the remote to type on the pad.

Sony need to fix this. As well as the other couple bugs with oreo

Djbarbee
New

I agree, u shouldn't have to take  out your existing keyboard as before you should be able to use both or either.  Get this problem fixed sony!

profile.country.GB.title
PepeX909
Explorer

Taking out mouse is NOT SOLUTION!!!  I have same problem with my KD-55x7005 after OS upgrade. Onscreen keyboard won't show if I have my mouse connected. Issue is that system is mistakenly recognizing mouse as a physical keyboard. Even if mouse is removed and onscreen keyboard shows it can't be used with standard remote control. Previous OS didn't have this issue. It has to be fixed as user experience is significantly diminished. 

Is there a patch or instruction that can be applied as fix to the problem?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

For Sony the fix is the one already suggested unfortunately

profile.country.GB.title
kevinayers

Have found a solution that keeps any USB dongles attached.

For All 4 I have a Minix remote attached and after the latest update it would no longer bring up search using virtual keyboard.Tried the suggestion of removing the dongle and all was well.

Then installed LeanKey virtual keyboard ( I used Aptoide , could be in the play store.) and set this in keyboard in settings and the dongle works as well as the virtual keyboard.