Join now - be part of our community!

Real WiFi AC throughput on KD-55XE9005

profile.country.GB.title
modas2017
Explorer

Real WiFi AC throughput on KD-55XE9005

Hi all,

I decided to test what is the real network throughput on TV KD-55XE9005 (latest firmware) when connected to WiFi access point via AC standart. My network/environment setup looks like this: router TP-LINK Archer C7 v2 (latest firmware, hidden behind TV. basically, no long distances, walls, etc.), Synology NAS DS716+ connected to the router via 1 Gbps NIC and TV KD-55XE9005 conected to WiFi via AC standart. I've installed an application "IP tools" to my TV and I see, that "Signal: 100% (-48 dBm)" and "Speed: 866 Mbps". Looks like pretty good conditions for testing, right? :slight_smile:

For testing purposes I decided to transfer a 3,4 Gb file using "ES File Explorer" from NAS to internal TV memory. I was able to achieve maximum ~20 MB/s (or about ~170 Mbps). Since TV is connected to WiFi via AC standart, I expected much better results. What do you think, where is the bottleneck? Maybe it's a slow memory inside TV? Maybe it's WiFi AC adapter on TV? Did you try to test what is the transfer speed on your XE90 series TV and how did you test? Finally, maybe do you have better ideas how can I test internal network throughput between TV and NAS? I've tried an application "analiti", but it's measuring the speed between TV and internet (not local LAN), what is not exactly what I need.

It would be interesting, if you make similar test (like AC WiFi, Sony XE90 series TV) and share your results :slight_smile:

By the way, for testing purposes I decided to check, what is network throughput between NAS and my laptop, connected to the same WiFi via AC standart. I was able to achieve ~55MB/s speed (or ~500 Mbps).

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

See here.

profile.country.GB.title
modas2017
Explorer

There is said "Wi-Fi controller seems to internally be hooked up to the SoC via USB 2.0 only", but according to XE9005, it has USB 3 controller. Do I understand correctly, that TV might have two controllers: USB 2 (some internal, where WiFi module is connected) and USB 3 (external, where I can plug in some USB drive)?

In comparison I took a cpecifications of TV 55XD9305. According to specs, it has USB1-3 ports, but XE9005 has only USB3. Either it's a wrong info in specs, a little bit outdated test described in that document or I skip/don't understand something :slight_smile:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You can check with AIDA64, to which controller at which speed the WiFi chipset is connected.

profile.country.GB.title
modas2017
Explorer

Could you please elaborate a little bit more, where I can identify controller version? On the "network" tab I see only data like signal strenght (-49 dBm), link speed (866 Mbps), frequency (5180 Mhz), 5GHz band is supporter.

On the "Device" tab there are alot of various info which is difficult to interpret for me.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

In the Device tab you should be able to identify the WiFi controller and see how it is connected.

profile.country.GB.title
modas2017
Explorer

In the "Devices" tab I see device name "Mali-T860", a lot of parameters which begin with "Max<..>", a lot of values which are "supported/unsupported", but there in no parameters or values related network, WiFi or USB 😕

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Mali-T860 is the graphics part. You probably should scroll down on that page to see other devices...

profile.country.GB.title
modas2017
Explorer

Have you ever seen these parameters and values (I'm talking about WiFi controller and how it is connected) by yourself? There is no "Other devices".

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

aida_devs.jpg