Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 4K Bravia TV reports 1080p resolution to apps

Morosoph
Explorer

Sony 4K Bravia TV reports 1080p resolution to apps

I have the 49xd8099bu Android TV.

Neither Kodi nor YouTube deliver 4K video, although the built-in video player will.  Kodi reports 1080p resolution, as does 'Developer Tools' from Google's Play store.

A 4K test file is available from the below link, for those who might want to test the resolution.  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261768

Apps can't deliver 2160p unless they know that the screen is capable of delivering it.  How, then can the default be overrulled?

36 REPLIES 36
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The slow CPU/GPU in Sony ATV1 and ATV2 are not capable of rendering a 4K GUI at a reasonable speed. So it is rendered in 1080p which then gets upscaled to 4K. Video is a totally different story. It is decoded and rendered via MediaCodec Surface directly to the 4K output without any intermediary downscaling. So all is fine. Judge by your eyes, not by numbers.

profile.country.GB.title
vacoum
Explorer

My friends older (I suppose 2016m Samsung) 4k is capable to play Youtube with 4k, and newest Sony with the extreme processor not capable? I bought 4k TV and want to use as 4k.  The same as to buy the car. If you buy the Ferrary and it's written, that it contains 6l engine, it contains 6l engine, not 2 liter engine with one exception on Sundays.

My phone has bigger resolution then 1080p and capable to play complex graphic games, and this x90 Sony Bravia even not capable to show browser with 1140p, only 1080p? It's super bad. Sony used misleading advertisement. 

It's cheating.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@vacoum  schrieb:

My friends older 4k (not Sony) is capable to play Youtube with 4k, and newest Sony with the extreme processor not capable?

I can play 4K content at 4K on a Sony XF90...

profile.country.GB.title
RoberMC

My 2015 X850C plays Youtube content at 4k perfectly fine. This TVs report 1080p screen only to apps not related with video playback like emulators and such, but apps that use video overlay and hardware video decoder built in the TV can output video at 4K with HDR without any problem.

profile.country.GB.title
vacoum
Explorer

Kuschelmonschter : "I can play 4K content at 4K on a Sony XF90..."

Are you sure? If you see on Youtube quality 4k, it means, that you are streaming 4k view from internet to you tv, it does'nt mean automatically, that the view is also displayed as 4k. For example, my gaming monitor is 1440p. I can watch 8k youtube trailers like "8k Peru". But my display is still 1440p, so it means in my case, that 8k view is transformed to 1440p and displayed. 

There are Youtube options "stats for nerds". Open them while watching 4k vidoe ant find label "viewport". And the result would the real view you see. In my case, it's 1080*2 * (whatever that *2 means). If you didn't look at this Youtube parameter, you can't be sure you see 4k. I had working 4k big monitor. And I know, even from very close to see rectangles on letters the mission is almost impossible. The same with real 4k Youtube view. You can closer to TV, and see small details even with very close. 1080p ist's super bad. 1440p could be an option, compromise, but 1080p is.........gabage. 
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Why don't you just read our postings?

The slow CPU/GPU in Sony ATV1 and ATV2 are not capable of rendering a 4K GUI at a reasonable speed. So it is rendered in 1080p which then gets upscaled to 4K. Video is a totally different story. It is decoded and rendered via MediaCodec Surface directly to the 4K output without any intermediary downscaling. So all is fine. Judge by your eyes, not by numbers.

ViewPort is for GUI printing. Video uses another pipeline which is 4K. You have to check video resolution in stats for nerds.

profile.country.GB.title
vacoum
Explorer

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You are not reading our postings and you get the situation totally wrong by looking at wrong numbers.

profile.country.GB.title
vacoum
Explorer

image.png

Are you kidding. On my monitor it's said, that playing 8k Youtube trailer, my resolution is :"
Current / Optimal Res 7680x4320@60 / 7680x4320@60.
Do you realy think, that I have 8k gaming monitor? :grin: :grin:

My monitor is 1440p, and view is transformed to 1440p. See "viewport"? Do you understand, what does porting mean? It's the "output". 

profile.country.GB.title
vacoum
Explorer

KuschelmonschterSee my previous answer with evidance. With print screen.