Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 4K Bravia TV reports 1080p resolution to apps

Morosoph
Explorer

Sony 4K Bravia TV reports 1080p resolution to apps

I have the 49xd8099bu Android TV.

Neither Kodi nor YouTube deliver 4K video, although the built-in video player will.  Kodi reports 1080p resolution, as does 'Developer Tools' from Google's Play store.

A 4K test file is available from the below link, for those who might want to test the resolution.  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261768

Apps can't deliver 2160p unless they know that the screen is capable of delivering it.  How, then can the default be overrulled?

36 REPLIES 36
word999
New

Adjust the sharpness to the highest.Then you can see KODI's testvideo actually is 4K.

And youtube is 4K too.

微信图片_20181009235357.jpg微信图片_20181009234939.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
vacoum
Explorer

The screen is working in 4k format, but the interface is generated in 1080p
and then upscaled to 4k. It's the big difference then the interface is
generated naturally in 4k format. I am working with 4k monitor and believe
me, then I opened the browser using Sony tv, it was big big big difference.
profile.country.GB.title
MoRbIdBoY

I am using the TV as a monitor for my PC as well. I'm running 3840 x 2160 60hz resolution on the PC with a nVidia 1080 graphics card and a dual HDMI cable.

When I play a 4K Bluray disk on my PC within Kodi (x64 PC Application) and select the option "Play video at original size" within the Kodi video options, the image does not scale at all. In other words, the entire image fits on the screen within the 3840 x 2160 resolution of the TV.

Kodi on Android TV is a completely different experience. Because (besides the interface running at 1920x1080 and looking completely blurry, when I try to play the exact same Bluray disk using the Android version of Kodi running inside Android TV on this TV - Play video at original size, the image resizes off the screen and I only see 1920x1080 worth of the 4K movie.

In other words, on Android TV, at least in Kodi, the 4K movies is being downscaled to 1920x1080.

I have a £60 Firestick that supports Kodi with a great looking interface at 3840 x 2160 and can play this Bluray video (over WiFi) streaming from my PC upstairs to my Samsung UHD TV downstairs (with a Firestick in the back) with NO PROBLEM AT ALL.

So the obvious question to Sony: Why are you selling 4K TV's that force Android TV applications to run at 1920 x 1080 and why are you forcing these applications to downscale 4K to 1920 x 1080?

Especially when there are CHEAP usb devices out there that can outperform this apparent limitation?

profile.country.GB.title
renatofpalberto
Explorer

Yeah, I'm in the same situation, and even tried with other video apps like MX player and VLC, and happens the same, so asking the same question. It was quite disappointing when discovered this situation. Hope they solve this soon, just reply here if you found a solution for this

Tks

profile.country.GB.title
MoRbIdBoY

Yeah, I did a couple of tests using some 4k test patterns and video. All videos and media plays at 4k which is the main thing, even in apps such as Kodi, it's only the app interfaces which are limited to 1080p, which is a shame and seems pointless to me, but if it speeds them up and the videos play full 4k I can live with it. I would have sent it back if my blurays or streaming media was being down-sampled. But as soon as it starts playing video and a codec is recognized it plays full 4k.
profile.country.GB.title
MoRbIdBoY

I'm generally quite happy with the TV. It's not the fastest processor and quite sluggish, but it gets everything done if you have a bit of patience. For the price (it is a Sony) it's to be expected. Maybe I'd look to other Android TV's next time as Sony seemed to skimp out on the processor, but I have a Tizen Samsung as my main TV and this Sony is much better and was far cheaper. All the other Android TV's I checked out from around this price range from Companies like LG etc. (endless list here) seemed to have poor build quality compared to this Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
MoRbIdBoY

PS. Try streaming Bladerrunner 2049 in 4k as he's flying over the city (small building blocks) and turn all the motion enhancements off on the TV settings (generally they will only make 4k videos appear blurry, which is the problem I had). Everything it the video becomes pin sharp 4k and the buildings appear defined. Pretty cool.