Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 55X850C - Screen Format: Full pop up when watching 3D

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Sony 55X850C - Screen Format: Full pop up when watching 3D

Since the lastest firmware I keep getting a pop up on screen with 3D movies in the bottom left hand side. 

"Screen Format: Full" this is of course say it is using full pixel but it should not keep showing!

I cannot seem to find a way to disable this notification. It makes 3D useless as it keeps popping up! I even tried a factory reset to no avail.

265 REPLIES 265
profile.country.GB.title
scchandler
Explorer

You may be right, about the HDD recording for sure.  All I can say is that they were insisting thatthe screen format popup will be fixed on 24th Dec.  To be honest, apart from the incredible frustration of dealing with this, I am not that bothered because I will simply get back the full purchase price from Sony on 24th Dec if it isnt fixed on that day.  I would then be able to go and buy a working TV from a good manufacturer such as Samsung for half the price.

This is the umpteenth time that Sony has let me down with embarrassing and pathetic software issues and I will now start to phase out all the Sony kit I have and replace with stuff that works.  This list is endless... .almost all to do with Sony bringing out hardware that is good in theory, but actully doesn't work bceause they have "forgotten" software....

- expensive bluteooth headphones (Sony top of range) that wouldnt bluetooth to the Sony Home Cienma or Sony TV - PROBLEM NEVER SOLVED, HAD TO CLAIM MONEY BACK

- expensive E Mount camera (Sony top of range) with expensive E MOunt Sony lenses - lens software incompatible with camera! - PROBLEM NEVER SOLVED - HAD TO CLAIM MONEY BACK

- NOW - expensive curved 3D TV - CANNOT PLAY 3D DISCS!

- Is anyone spotting a pattern here?

Davej1710
Explorer

Hi all.

I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now, ever since buying my new TV and feel your pain. Same problem here, but I have the S8005C, so not limited to just the models you've mentioned. None of the advice so far has stopped the infuriating pop ups. Definitely a software issue. Not fixed by today's update.

This is insane from Sony! Spent a fortune on this tv plus new 4k upscale Blu ray player and 7 pairs of glasses and 10x 3d blu-rays as a gift for the family for Christmas. Saved up for years.

2d brilliant, 3d is completely opposite. Going to chew some Sony support persons ear off tomorrow as I've had enough. More pressure and negative reviews, quicker they will sort this. Christmas eve is just not acceptable, if that's even when they fix it. 

profile.country.GB.title
mgeldard1573

Yea, it is a software issue , but other problems are not HDMI switching and power problems are probably mother board related . MY engineers that at this moment are trtying to fix the set (New Motherboard) , related that the update was for all the problems are they in for a shock when they try the TV. Did tell them not to bring it back if it was not fixed.
Gruttyman
Explorer

Just want to add my voice to this mounting frsutration.

I bought a KDL-55W809C a couple of weeks ago with a whole bunch of 3D movies as a surprise for the kids at Christmas.

Finally got time to sit down last night to check out the 3D capabilities using an old 3D copy of Avatar I had never watched (in 3D) and then spent about an hour messing with the settings to stops the blasted 'screen format: full' popup which happens about every minute or so.

Got online this morning to look for a solution only to find that this is a BUG which you guys have been battling for weeks. I can't believe we are now at the mercy of the incompetence of software developers when it comes to the simple matter of watching a film on TV. I have worked in the software industry for years and there is no excuse for this kind of rubbish, Sony...your test suites should include a robust set of procedures which exercise EVERY aspect of the TV's functionality and performance, there is ABSOLUTLEY NO EXCUSE for releasing software which fundamentally breaks existing functionality. I've worked on the development of multi-tiered, clustered business systems with massively more complexity than your TV's and we have fewer bugs in an 18 month dev cycle than you seem to have conjured up with your botched attempt at using Android to drive your TV's.

At leasat give us a menu option to revert to a softeware release which gives us the functionality that matches our needs, I understand that an older software release didn't have this issue?  Let us choose for ourselves which botched functionality we can live with or without!

So, we can't trust you with our personal details (I'm a PSN user too!), and we cant even trust you when it comes to your core business of producing decent quality home electronics....sad day for me I must say!!

Rant over, I have to finish in saying that bugs aside, the TV does produce a fantastic picture...but its not all about that these days, is it!

Gruttyman
Explorer

...and I forgot to ask...

I bought my KDL-55W809C from Curry's on the 27th November,  if Sony fail to deliver the promised fix for this issue on the 24th December I believe this gives me just 3 days (30 day return) to take the set back to Curry's for a refund or replacement.

Is this correct, or if Sony keep failing to fix the issue, do I have a longer period to take action (legal or otherwise).

In my case I ONLY bought this set for it's 3D capabilities, it replaced a perfectly good Panasonic Plasma which had an equally good picture, but no 3D.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon all

For those that are experiencing issues.  Would you kindly be able to add your issues and problems to the spreadsheet in the link below.  Sony is trying to collate all the issues and gather data across all EU countries.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1plApKWKjvI6nHM9DwaC5orceWH5lQP7OiWfd6OBI2iQ/edit#gid=0

Thank you.

davewaite

Hi..Welcome to the joke that is Sony smart 3D tv. Ever since around November 17th following a software update we have been plagued by this insane pop up when viewing 3D on blu ray disc and Sky 3D too!. After 100's of phone calls to Sony..my retailer and the repair centre I am still no closer to an answer. My tv has been in for repair over the past two weeks..they have been fitting a new PCB. .my tv is due back on Thursday..though I doubt whether the issue has been resolved..yes there are rumours that an update on 24th December will resolve this issue. All I know that I have had to watch a 12 inch portable tv in my lounge for two long weeks. My tv is just 4 months in to its manufacturers warranty..the tv should be replaced with a new one. There is no excuse. My trust in Sony has been destroyed in the light of this. My requests have fallen on deaf ears. I am very angry with Sony. 😞

profile.country.GB.title
scchandler
Explorer

I strongly disagree with the use of the word "issues".  These are MAJOR DEFECTS for which Sony should NOT be "collating lists" they shoud be recalling the TVs, providing full refunds and accepting what all GOOD manufacturers accept, for products that require software to work... SOFTWARE FAULTS ARE JUST AS UNACCEPTABLE AS HARDWARE FAULTS.

You would not ask customers to add to a spreadsheet of TVs that were delivered with huge patches of dead pixels.  THIS IS NO DIFFERENT.  The TVs should NOT have been shipped with these defects, end of rant

profile.country.GB.title
scchandler
Explorer

Well said!!!  You and I bought our TVs at almost exactly the same time (mine was from Sony Centre 28th Nov) and I STRONGLY recommend you to, irritating though it is, not go beyond the 30 day window.

It is also very important, since Sony try to brush this off as a "glitsch" or, worse still, are happy to waste HOURS of our time trying to fix faults over the phone that should not be there, that you describe this TV as DEFECTIVE.  It is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.  In fact the only purpose I want my TV for is to watch 3D blu rays so I have this DEFECT 100% of the time.

If you delay, either Sony and/or where you bought it from can say - "well if you werent happy you should have brought it back before".  This is the danger of Sony not biting the bullet and  them not admitting it is a defect.

davewaite

Hi ..no..I had my tv back in July it was fine..everything working well until the software update of November 17th..then the pop up fault started..all I been doing since Nov 17th is calling sony..my retailer and then ultimately it went in for repair..I am exasperated ..I don't know what to do..I have even threatened them with trading standards and the sale of goods act...