Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 55X850C - Screen Format: Full pop up when watching 3D

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Sony 55X850C - Screen Format: Full pop up when watching 3D

Since the lastest firmware I keep getting a pop up on screen with 3D movies in the bottom left hand side. 

"Screen Format: Full" this is of course say it is using full pixel but it should not keep showing!

I cannot seem to find a way to disable this notification. It makes 3D useless as it keeps popping up! I even tried a factory reset to no avail.

265 REPLIES 265
frankie1g

So does the new customer rights act software faults are equally important as hardware faults  Sent from my Samsung device
adyjay33
profile.country.GB.title
mgeldard1573

Dear Mr Geldard,

Thank you for your email to the Citizens Advice consumer service dated 23/11/2015.  Your reference number for this case is AW-13201205.  It would be helpful if you could quote this reference number in any future contact with our service, so we can record all the information and advice offered.

We understand from your email that you would like to determine what your next course of action should be after experiencing problems with a TV you purchased.

Your rights and obligations:

Your contract is with the retailer who sold you the TV Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (As Amended) all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer must be of a ‘satisfactory quality’ – the goods should be free from faults, last a reasonable time.  If the goods do not meet these requirements, then you may have a short time in which to return the goods to the trader and ask for a refund.  After this your rights will be to claim:

- a repair or a like-for-like replacement; or if neither of these are possible -

- an appropriate level of refund (this may take into account usage).

Due to the length of time you have had the goods, the trader may ask you to prove that the fault is not due to neglect, misuse, accidental damage or fair wear & tear.  The trader may ask you to have the goods inspected to confirm the fault is due to manufacture, before they will resolve the matter.

You can read more about the Sale of Goods Act here at Citizensadvice.

Also guarantees and warranties may be given in addition to a consumer’s legal (statutory) rights, and give an alternative means of resolving a fault.  As such, your rights under a guarantee or warranty would be determined by the terms & conditions published in it.  These terms and conditions will often outline how long the guarantee or warranty will provide cover; who will provide this cover; what is covered and what forms of redress will be offered when a fault develops.  Therefore you would have to read through those terms and conditions to see exactly what it entitles you to and who would be responsible for providing that form of redress.

You can read more about guarantees and warranties here at Citizensadvice

Your next steps:

You should check to see if this company is a member of an alternative dispute resolution scheme (ADR), to find out if the trader is a member or not, we would advise to check their website or alternatively ask them directly.

The ADR scheme can be used to try and negotiate or mediate between yourself and the trader in order to reach an acceptable outcome. The trader does not have to be a member of the scheme and even if they are there is no obligation for the trader to use their scheme in every dispute.

At this stage, we would suggest you follow the trader's complaints procedure and obtain proof of doing so, if the trader does not have a complaints procedure to follow we would suggest taking a formal approach and addressing the trader in writing. We would suggest obtaining proof of sending the letter/email and keeping a copy of any contact – this may help you prove that you have contacted the trader and tried to resolve the matter amicably.

If the trader is not with a scheme then we would advice that you contact The Chartered Trading Standards Institute through their website as they may be able to offer an alternative scheme that could help. http://www.tradingstandards.uk/

We would advise you outline any relevant events regarding this issue and make it clear what you expect from the trader and why. It should also give the trader a reasonable time to resolve the matter.

You can read more about the Sale of Goods Act on our website here at Citizensadvice

When using the template letters it is important that you follow the online instructions carefully. In addition, once the letter has been generated it may also require further editing, in order to make it clear to the trader what the nature of your complaint is.

What we’ll do:

We will inform Trading Standards of the trader's activities.  Whilst this is unlikely to help with your own civil complaint, Trading Standards can take into consideration such complaints when prioritizing their activities.

If you require any further advice or information about this case, please do not hesitate to contact the Citizens Advice consumer service by return email or on 03454 04 05 06 quoting the case reference number.

Thank you for your email.

Laura

Citizens Advice consumer service

Tel:      03454 04 05 06

Web:   www.adviceguide.org.uk

Open: 9:00am to 17:00pm Monday to Friday

Trading Standards now accessed through Citizens Advice ....

Patrandec

I'd like to add my voice to the increasing numbers who seems to be having real problems with Sony's 3D TV's. I recently bought the S8005C Series 55-Inch from Amazon and have had the Screen Format: Full pop up on nearly all of my Blu Ray 3D's. Nothing I have tried (including fixes in this thread) seem to work for long. It is so frustrating and my email complaint to Sony resulted in a stock reply back effectively telling me "turn it off and then on again". Someone in Sony must watch the IT Crowd!

I've left a review on Amazon warning people away from ALL Sony 3D TV's and I can only hope that Sony start to take note of people like us willing to spread the word publically and provide us with a proper resolution to this sorry saga.  

davewaite

Hi..I've just come off the phone to Sony..they tell me that a update fix to address this fault was put out 2 days ago..can you or anyone confirm if this is the case?..Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
scchandler
Explorer

Hi

Sorry to say the update from 2 days ago has NOT fixed this issue.  Depending on who you speak to, there are claims that there will be an update on 24th December. However there is no guarantee whatsoever that this update will resolve the issues.   My personal view now having spoken to Sony daily in the 2 weeks since buying the TV, is that I have zero confidence that Sony will fix this defect and therefore I'm returning the TV as not fot for purpose.

Patrandec

davewaite: 

Your post triggered me to do a quick search of the internet and yes, it does seem as if Sony US have released a fix! This is from the US version of this thread: 

Hello Everyone!

A software update was just released to FIX the "Wide Mode Pop Up Issue" on Sony televisions.

Kindly update your TVs software version.

The link below might help you for further assistance.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40952/c/65,66/kw/40952%20%20

So the question for us in the UK and EU is.......... WHERE THE HELL IS OUR FIX!!!!!!!

smashah

I had a look at the support page for the sony x85c , it shows firmware available for download dated 14-12-2015 which is 2 days ago.  Do u think they updated the firmware to include the 3d pop up fix only for usb installation but have not authorised it to be downloaded directly via television update.  

Improve the stability of your TV - FW v2645

Firmware  14-12-2015

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KD-55X8505C#SoftwareAndDownloads

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, just means that its available to download via usb from that date.

smashah

Quinnicus can you request Sony UK/EU to obtain the source code for the 3d issue fix from Sony USA and provide a updated firmware  ?