Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 55X850C - Screen Format: Full pop up when watching 3D

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Sony 55X850C - Screen Format: Full pop up when watching 3D

Since the lastest firmware I keep getting a pop up on screen with 3D movies in the bottom left hand side. 

"Screen Format: Full" this is of course say it is using full pixel but it should not keep showing!

I cannot seem to find a way to disable this notification. It makes 3D useless as it keeps popping up! I even tried a factory reset to no avail.

265 REPLIES 265
Anonymous
Not applicable

There will be NO further firmware released this side of New Year.  None, nadda, zip, zero, zilch, non, nil.

Sorry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

scchandler wrote:

It is normal (but not acceptable!) Sony policy to prioritise US first, then Europe (by which they mean Germany) then the UK will come a very poor third... this is true for everything - product releases, price levels, and fault issues like this.

In regards to firmware releases, Sony does not prioritise certain geographical regions or countries.  Europe is a different market and harder than the US.  Think of the different broadcasting techiques and languages etc.  The UK is also now different to the EU - YouView.

What im getting at is each area has its own challenges in itself.

Patrandec

I'm sorry but that is rubbish. We are being treated terribly by Sony UK and YouView would in no way require Sony UK to delay this update as long as they are. To leave it until after Christmas and New Year is disgraceful.

Let's be honest here and admit that as far as customer service is involved Sony UK are up there with the utility and phone companies for their arrogant dismissal of their customers. I for one am not accepting it and have written to various consumer columns of the national press (the Guardian is particularly good) and urge others to do the same. I have also written formally to both Trading Standards and the Consumer Associatuion (WHICH) urging them to investigate Sony on this issue. 

I will never buy another Sony product for as long as I live. 

Patrandec

I sent this (admittedly angry) email to Sony today: 

Dear Sony, 

I am still waiting for a response to my complaint despite you claiming to have "escalated" the issue. I now know that this claim of "escalation" is invalid as it has been confirmed that Germany/EU have joined the US in receiving a firmware update to fix this problem, but Sony UK have said that they will not bother to fix it in the UK until after the New Year! This is simply unacceptable customer service from Sony UK, easily as bad as the customer service we receive from the utility and phones companies, who so are so regularly attacked in the national press. I do accept that you won't give a damn about this email as you have no respect for your customers, so I hope the following will at least make you sit up and take my complaint seriously: 

• I have now written to various consumer columns of the national press (Guardian, Telegraph, Sun) pleading with them to investigate Sony's actions over this issue and urging them to take you to task for your terrible treatment of your customers; 
  • I have written formally to the UK's Trading Standards Authority and to the Consumer Association (WHICH) again urging them to open investigation into Sony UK's treatment of its customers;
  • I have updated my on-line reviews of your TV's again urging people to stay away from your products;
  • I have written direct to your most senior executives to complain of the treatment Sony UK is meting out to it's customers;
  • I have written to Google to point out that Sony's treatment of their customers is damaging their Android TV brand;
  • I will continue to highlight this issue in all public on-line fora until Sony commits to fixing this 
I remain shocked at the off hand and dismissive way you have treated your customer over this issue. I purchased a £1000+ TV from you in good faith and all you have done is treat me and other customers like dirt. 
ENDS

As you can see, I'm not letting Sony get away with this easily. 
profile.country.GB.title
Wrenny1969

I suppose a Christmas change freeze makes sense, no point in rolling out any further changes if there arent folks about to rectify any post imp issues. Dont need any more fires lit just yet. Seasonal salutations to you all 👍

smashah

@Quinnicus wrote:

@scchandler wrote:

It is normal (but not acceptable!) Sony policy to prioritise US first, then Europe (by which they mean Germany) then the UK will come a very poor third... this is true for everything - product releases, price levels, and fault issues like this.

In regards to firmware releases, Sony does not prioritise certain geographical regions or countries.  Europe is a different market and harder than the US.  Think of the different broadcasting techiques and languages etc.  The UK is also now different to the EU - YouView.

What im getting at is each area has its own challenges in itself.

Suppose we accept Sony needs more time to address the Youview issue.   However, the 3d issue can be fixed quickly, so Sony should at least release the 3d fix this week?

profile.country.GB.title
mgeldard1573

I have asked Sony to replace TV under their insurance or riemburse me as per manufacturing guarantee. I also wrote to Trading Standards and have a case No. I also wrote to a number of magazine who did not even replay. They won't bother as Sony would pull the advertising and supply of TV's for their reviews if they did anything of a negative nature.
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

This is totally disgusting Sony, you have treated us like second class citizens all year. You have essentially stolen £1700 from me and run. I am furrious beyond belief, there is NO REASON AT ALL why you can't release the damn 3D fix. We are the ONLY country not to receive this which makes it even worse.

SCREW YOU SONY.

Patrandec

I understand from reading another thread here that it is possible to download the EU update which fixed the 3D problem:

http://www.sony.ie/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features-update-21-dec/KD-55X8509C

You lose YouView but I'm on Sky anyway. Given Sony UK's complete disregard of UK customers, with a update date now of February 2016(!!!), if you really use the 3D a lot it may be worth trying this workaround until Sony UK get off their fat ***** and realise they have customers to serve. 

p.s. this particular sentence made my blood boil: "To allow us to offer customers an excellent user experience during the holiday period, this firmware update will be made available exclusively at short notice for download from the Internet via a computer onto a USB device from 21st December 2015".

Note: Edited by Quinnicus to remove profanity.

Patrandec

So, I emailed both John Anderson (Head of Sony UK) and Kazuo Hirai, (Overall Head of Sony). I copied my email to Sony's various PR and media addresses and followed up on Facebook and twitter.  I know that it won't make much of a difference but hey, it made me feel a bit better!