Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 55X850C - Screen Format: Full pop up when watching 3D

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Sony 55X850C - Screen Format: Full pop up when watching 3D

Since the lastest firmware I keep getting a pop up on screen with 3D movies in the bottom left hand side. 

"Screen Format: Full" this is of course say it is using full pixel but it should not keep showing!

I cannot seem to find a way to disable this notification. It makes 3D useless as it keeps popping up! I even tried a factory reset to no avail.

265 REPLIES 265
profile.country.GB.title
scchandler
Explorer

Thanks for the info about the irish firmware update.  I have just tried it and it does remove the Screen Format: Full popup.   HOWEVER I strongly suspect that Sony has done what I dreaded they would do, and instead of fixing the problem properly, they have just reduced the functionality of the TV and locked out various features to stop the popup appearing!  The first thing you notice is that the popup does not appear AT ALL. It is supposed to appear once (only at the beginning to tell you what screen format is running.  The second thing that you notice is that the 3D movies no longer adjust dynamically as they should do when playing properly. I AM NOT AN EXPERT - It would be great if someone in the Forum who is more expert could comment on this - but it seems that Sony has disabled the dynamic screen and display functionality of the TV. So, using the old phrase, "one step forward and ten steps back".  A number of options on the "screen" and "desiplay" menus are now locked out!!!

Any input from experts out there would be highly appreciated! 

banus01
Explorer

so i guess we just wait until february then !?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@scchandler wrote:

Thanks for the info about the irish firmware update.  I have just tried it and it does remove the Screen Format: Full popup.   HOWEVER I strongly suspect that Sony has done what I dreaded they would do, and instead of fixing the problem properly, they have just reduced the functionality of the TV and locked out various features to stop the popup appearing!  The first thing you notice is that the popup does not appear AT ALL. It is supposed to appear once (only at the beginning to tell you what screen format is running.  The second thing that you notice is that the 3D movies no longer adjust dynamically as they should do when playing properly. I AM NOT AN EXPERT - It would be great if someone in the Forum who is more expert could comment on this - but it seems that Sony has disabled the dynamic screen and display functionality of the TV. So, using the old phrase, "one step forward and ten steps back".  A number of options on the "screen" and "desiplay" menus are now locked out!!!

Any input from experts out there would be highly appreciated! 

You are welcome, they also as mentioned have broken the auto picture mode. So now it only changes once to say game mode and gets stuck! I have now had to disable it and manually select the relevant picture mode. The people who are programming the OS really are a bunch of clueless clowns!

Gruttyman
Explorer

Just back to the site after a week and hoping to see that Sony had released the (rumoured) 24th update which fixes this issue and see that this has now been pushed back to February.

To say I'm disgusted would be an understatement, I am a 25 year Sony customer and just shelled out over £1000 for a TV, £200 on 3D glasses and £60 on 3D movies as a treat for the kids at Christmas only to find that I will not be able to watch the 3D movies without this ridiculous popup every minute or so.

How could you possibly have missed such an obvious problem durign your testing?

Too busy to address this today, but will be back to Curry's on Saturday with this entire thread printed out to show them that the TV I bought is not 'fit for purpose', and that I want a refund for my entire spend.  The Samsung's and Panny's look pretty good value right now.

Sorry Sony, 1/ You should have acknowledged this thread in some way to show that you at least care a little about your customers. 2/ You should not have released a TV and OS which patently do not deliver the functionality promised (unforgivable) and 3/ You should acknowledge and stick to a release schedule for specific bug fixes so that we all know where we stand.

Gruttyman
Explorer

....and I also tried to update the SurveyMonkey link but it no longer seems to be valid...no doubt Sony have taken this offline as the problem is just the figment of our deranged imagination!

profile.country.GB.title
neradle
Explorer

This is a complete joke, why are we being shafted in the UK. I brought a KD55X8507C with a STR DN860 back in November and was given some 3D glasses and loads of 3D blu rays at Christmas to play via my PS4, but this message popping up every few minutes makes these totally unwatchable!!

I've paid good money and now being told that this major floor won't be addressed until February at the earliest. Come on Sony, this is unacceptable as my TV does not deliver core functionality that were the premise for me buying this setup.

One disgruntled long term Sony customer here!

minimalbliss
Explorer

I have nothing new to add other than to be another unimportant voice in a disgruntled crowd.

Bit embarrassing showing friends (who were interested themselves in purchasing one) the 3d functionality.

What's with the annoying popup?

It's not annoying, it's cool functionality. If you want though you can watch the 3d snake demo on YouTube without seeing the popup. You'll miss it though.

Oh right, that's fine then, do the Samsungs and panasonics do that?

Yeah, they all do that silly. It's to comfort you that the format hasn't changed during the last 15 seconds. It's amazing how much time you save pausing, checking the format, unpausing. 

Hope you sort it soon sony! I don't think my friends believe me.

davewaite

Hi folks..Has anyone physically taken their TV back to the shop yet for a full refund?. So much for that promised fix on Dec 4th. I am totally ***** off now. A Christmas ruined by Sony because we can't watch any 3D films on our expensive Sony tv's. They really couldn't give a toss! I will not be buying Sony in future. A previously loyal Sony customer. 😞

Conor007
Explorer

Come on folks - we're geeks! Geeks don't settle for malfunctions like this.

I reckon we stand a better chance if we find a way of coming together and ensuring Sony deal with this as soon as possible. Their attitude has been flippant, their response vague and their updates useless. 

We each paid £1000 for this set and it's primary function - to play 3D - is faulty. Unacceptable. Completely and utterly unacceptable. 

-How many of you had to put off your 3D demos at Christmas? 

-How many of you have had to delay your family viewing time?

-How many of you have had to explain this glitch to friends/family wanting to see your TV in action. 

I'm fed up of seeing tha bloody message. I want to watch my movies. Right now my BluRays are just piling up around me. No more! 

profile.country.GB.title
neradle
Explorer

Write to watchdog, trading standards and vent your frustration on social media. I've spent thousands on Sony products over the years and it's all about how a company reacts to such situations. If they had released a UK fix alongside the EU, then it wouldn't be so bad but over two months later is just a kick in the teeth!! .