Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AG8-65 HDMI 2 not working

profile.country.GB.title
anaymakan
Explorer

Sony AG8-65 HDMI 2 not working

I have an issue with my xbox one s when using HDR10 (games and apps). HDMI 2 and 3 are the ports that support 18gbps+ transfer speed and enhanced format, but I have to use HDMI 2 because my soundbar is using HDMI 3 since that uses ARC. My issue is when I open a game or app that supports HDR10, the TV shows a black screen and fails to display an image, at the top of the screen you can see that its trying to switch to HDR10 but it flickers badly and never shows an image in the end. It will say no signal. Even when everything else is unplugged I still have the issue on HDMI 2. HDMI 3 on the other hand works flawlessly and supports HDR10 all the time with no issues. The only way i've managed to fix the issue is powering off the TV then back on again, this fixes the issue for the first 2 (ish) days  and then the issue happens again. I remember reading about HDMI handshake issue and I have followed all the steps. I have tried cables that have come with the xbox as well as HDMI cables that support upto 27gbps transfer speed, reset my xbox and TV and done software updates. Nothing has fixed the issue. Unless I have a faulty HDMI 2, I have no idea what to do to fix the issue. (in the mean time im using an optical cable for the soundbar and HDMI 3 for xbox but this is not ideal since syncing and volume control is a pain)

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

How did  you set the xbox? using RGB or 4:2:0 subchroma sampling? if you use 4k hdr RGB color the bandwith required could be too much for HDMI 2.0 ports

profile.country.GB.title
anaymakan
Explorer

After resetting the TV, I switched the the HDMI format from standard to enhanced to Dolby Vision and HDR10+ would work. The colour space on the xbox is set to standard (PC RGB being the other option) and colour bit set to 8 bits ( compared to 10 bits and 12 bits) this shouldn't use lots of bandwidth. Also I have switched the picture mode from standard to game mode for lower latency. Even with these changes the issue has still occurred but I am sure that its a faulty HDMI as HDMI 3 does not have this issue and works as it should but I cannot use the port since my soundbar runs through the HDMI since its the only port to support ARC. Therefore I am stuck with HDMI 2 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm not an expert on gaming console but for sure you cannot send HDR10 signal using 8 bit color, since 10 embedded in the name means 10 bit indeed. Better check out which actual option you have on your console for HDR gaming. the HDMIARC port exceed a bit the standard specification for HDMI 2.0 so maybe this is the reason why it works

profile.country.GB.title
anaymakan
Explorer

After resetting the console and TV, I have tried leaving most of the settings how they are but previously I have used PC RGB and 12 Bit colour depth and its worked fine. The issue is the next morning I will turn the TV on and it will say no input or show me the home screen of the xbox and when I open a HDR10 game, then it will say no input or simply show a black screen. I can turn the xbox off and on but this doesnt fix the issue. When I turn the TV off and on from the power outlet then it fixes itself but this method only works for about a day and I have to keep doing this every day which gets very annoying (I think its something to do with HDMI handshake). So even when HDMI 2 is not working I try HDMI 3 and success, I try HDMI 2 again and nothing shows up. Then I have to restart the TV

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You should check exactly what the game is trying to send out to the HDMI 2.0 port. This is what HDMI2.0 can support. So which situation are you on?

4K 8 bit 10 bit 12 bit 16 bit
/24 Hz
/25 Hz
/30 Hz
RGB/4:4:4/
4:2:2
/50 Hz
/60 Hz
4:2:0/4:2:2
4:2:0 4:2:0 4:2:0
profile.country.GB.title
anaymakan
Explorer

Right now I am on 4K 60hz and the colour bit set to 8 bits. Even if I go higher then the issue will still occur 

profile.country.GB.title
anaymakan
Explorer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gmTU2PUaSqKtYSRF9 this is an example of what can happen, other times its no signal. Thanks for your help anyways

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Here you can find a similar thread but for PS4, working in YUV 4:2:0 was fine with hime (let alone that he wanted RGB...)

https://community.sony.it/t5/android-tv/small-white-dots-in-2160p-rgb-on-ps4-pro/m-p/2616801#M36364