Join now - be part of our community!

Soundbar/ARC issues

profile.country.GB.title
Mphood1
Explorer

Soundbar/ARC issues

Hoping someone can offer any advice with an issue with a soundbar connecting to my TV.

When I connect my blu-ray to soundbar and then soundbar to tv (Via HDMI ARC) it works perfectly. Picture plays through tv and sound through the soundbar.

However, when I watch tv I have sky connected to the the tv and then the tv connected to the soundbar (again via ARC) and no sound comes out of the soundbar. 

TV - Sony KD-49XG9005 

Blu Ray - Sony Ubp-x700 

Soundbar - Yamaha Yas-109

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It could be the sky decoder that broke the link  you may solve it buying an hdmi cecless cable to connect it

profile.country.GB.title
Mphood1
Explorer

Not sure how that would help? When Sky is connected direct to the soundbar, the sound works so I don't think sky box is the issue.

If I watch Netflix or iplayer etc through the TV it still won't send any sound to the soundbar.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sky decoder are famous to break the hdmi cec protocol . When you connect directly to the soundbar you are video and audio directly to the soundbar while passing by the tv you need hdmi arc that rely on  hdmi cec. If you want to try good other way if it works via the soundbar let it in this way.
profile.country.GB.title
Mphood1
Explorer

What should the cecless cable be connected to? (Sky to TV, Soundbar to TV?). Also, how will that solve the issue of no sound coming from Netflix (played through the TV) when sky box is completely unconnected?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You didn't wrote that you have problems with the soundbar without sky box connected. So in which case you get sound from the tv to soundbar? 
profile.country.GB.title
Mphood1
Explorer

Apologies, I did mention it my my previous reply, although not in the opening post.

That's the problem, I cannot get sound from the tv to the soundbar. I can only get it from external inputs (sky, blu-ray) connected directly to the soundbar.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

So you don't have arc working at all!
You should check all the standard things about it... are you using the right port on tv? Is it arc enabled on the soundbar? Is bravia sync active?
profile.country.GB.title
Mphood1
Explorer

Yes, it is plugged into the ARC port on the tv and the soundbar, audio is set to audio system and not tv speakers, soundbar is set to tv, I think bravia sync is active I can control the dvd player through it but not the soundbar. I have tried turning it all off, disconnecting and reconnecting but nothing.

All I can think of is the TV had a fault with the ARC port or theres a setting I haven't found/enabled? 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you cannot control the soundbar are you sure hdmicec is enabled on it?