Join now - be part of our community!

Vertical Banding KD65A1 - Sony think this is acceptable?

ilyndy
New

Vertical Banding KD65A1 - Sony think this is acceptable?

I bought the Sony Bravia KD65A1 at the back end of 2017, at the time its flagship OLED for £4,800. 

I paid a further £350 to have it professionally calibrated and for the most part, it has been a fantastic set. 

However, as seen in the picture, the panel has started to go and there is pretty bad vertical banding on the screen constantly (a common fault from what I can tell). We have followed all online troubleshooting steps we could find and have reset everything but no improvement. The photo attached was taken in full daylight so the window and living room are reflected in the panel, but the banding is still very clear and totally unacceptable. At night, the image quality is shot and totally ruined. Blacks and Greys especially (and ironically) look terrible!

I have a 5yr warranty on the TV so, whilst annoying, I thought I could at least get it fixed/replaced. Sony customer services however, seem to think this is acceptable picture quality. A technician has looked at the photo and decided, and I quote, that 'this phenomenon is considered as within specs.' They are refusing to fix or replace the screen and basically have said this is fine. 

How can they refuse to fix this issue on a £5k television that is within warranty? Who in their right mind looks at that and thinks 'yeah, that panel is fine.' Most importantly, what do I do now? 

TV Banding.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Kobe-1

That’s the same as me 😞  Sony A1 ‘55’ banding Issues

Dead common

profile.country.AU.title
boatsbeatwork
Explorer

I Have the KD55A1 and it has banding also forget asking Sony to do the right thing .

It is a manufacturing defect they can't dispute that but to save money and not give a about customers leaving them they call it acceptable .

Their quality is dropping badly year by year .I have an AF8 65 inch with virtually no banding .

It is a panel lottery along with a don't give a stuff about loyal customer once they have your hard earned money.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

A slight banding at low IRE (till 10/15%) is unfortunately common on LG display OLED panel shipped to any TV manufacturer (except some Panasonic fan claiming they choose the best panel without banding...)

Nonetheless it should be visible only using pattern, not on normal content viewing. If yours is so bad, try pushing Sony support to recognize it