Join now - be part of our community!

Warranty

profile.country.GB.title
zwntusy
New

Warranty

I’ve brought my tv 4 years ago with a 5 year warranty it’s has just begun to play up two lines appeared the bottom of the screen is flashing do I get in touch with currys

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Yes, your contract and warranty status are the retailers responsibility, so contact them in the first instance.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Also nice handy tip, they will try to FOB you off with a repair......DONT accept it

British Consumer law says that you lose all your rights if you accept a repair, get them to replace it.....you might just end up with a better model.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Gilgameshuk @zwntusy 

That’s incorrect after this length of time - it only applies in the first 30 days. And if you are making a warranty claim, rather than relying on the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you need to see what the warranty T&Cs are.

It’s also the case that you need to be clear who was offering the warranty, and apply to them, if you want to make a warranty claim, and it may well be that this is a manufacturer’s warranty from Sony.

Yes, Curry’s can’t abrogate their responsibilities under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but you are claiming on a warranty, not under that Act.

In practice, though, you are extremely unlikely to be offered a repair; there probably aren’t the replacement parts they will need any more.

On a four-year-old set with a large cluster of suddenly-failed pixels, John Lewis, having examined the returned TV, refunded us the full original purchase price under their five-year warranty. With equivalent sets now cheaper, and them not even asking us to pick from the sets they sold, we thought this was very generous.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

The warranties Sony offer, you go through the retailer to purchse/claim.

The warranties Currys offer, i/e: the pay extended ones, you go through the retailer to claim.

The paperwork on the Sony warranties that are offered free from Currys, as a promotion, through Sony, Amazon, etc, all state, contact the retailer, then they will either repair it(currys), replace it, or send it off to Sony, but the retailer does all the legwork, that's who the contract is with.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

re: RoyaBrown

Cheers buddy for the correction, its really handy to know this :slight_smile:

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King