Join now - be part of our community!

Watching live TV on All4 and ITV Hub

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
guyturton
New

Watching live TV on All4 and ITV Hub

Hi,

I recently bought a KD43X85KPU and cannot work out why the All4 and ITV Hub apps do not have a Live TV option, only catch up. 

I have done some reading and was under the impression that this model, on Android, should be able to stream live through these apps but no. 

Can anyone explain/help?

Thank you,

Guy

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@guyturton 

This goes back to the days when Sony and YouView naively assumed that everyone who bought one of these TVs would have and use a terrestrial aerial. So, no need for live TV on the catchup apps.

They have both been slowly climbing down from this position over the last seven years, but these two apps, supplied via YouView, are still holdouts. (The BBC iPlayer and My5 apps don’t come via YouView and so don’t have this issue).

But don’t sweat it. Come Black Friday, get a discounted Amazon Firestick for under £40, and watch these two apps with live TV, and a ton of other apps, all free from these wrong assumptions that still dog the flawed YouView implementation on these Sony TVs.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@guyturton 

This goes back to the days when Sony and YouView naively assumed that everyone who bought one of these TVs would have and use a terrestrial aerial. So, no need for live TV on the catchup apps.

They have both been slowly climbing down from this position over the last seven years, but these two apps, supplied via YouView, are still holdouts. (The BBC iPlayer and My5 apps don’t come via YouView and so don’t have this issue).

But don’t sweat it. Come Black Friday, get a discounted Amazon Firestick for under £40, and watch these two apps with live TV, and a ton of other apps, all free from these wrong assumptions that still dog the flawed YouView implementation on these Sony TVs.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi guyturton, I found this on the ITV help website: 

https://help.itv.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002763533-How-do-I-watch-live-TV-on-the-ITV-Hub-

I hope that sheds some light on the matter. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@HannahEd01 @guyturton 

That link says ‘some connected TV apps’.

Without knowing if these Sony Android/Google connected TVs are supposed to have the Live TV section onn (sic) their itv Hub apps, this link doesn’t really get us any further forward, I’m afraid.

And as reported above, no such section is showing up for people.

However, it’s all getting pretty academic, as the itv Hub will be replaced by itvX on December 8th; so I hope Sony and YouView have a replacement app ready to go. And might we dare to hope it has a Live option?

All4 is a separate issue, of course.

profile.country.GB.title
guyturton
New

@royabrown2  Thank you so much for such a thorough and well explained answer. Disappointing but confirmatory of my suspicions, so thank you again.