Join now - be part of our community!

XBR-55X900E No AC3 Using HDMI Source and Optical Out on TV

profile.country.GB.title
Alan_P
Explorer

XBR-55X900E No AC3 Using HDMI Source and Optical Out on TV

After a week of using my X900E with a satellite receiver with HDMI cable to HDMI 1 on the TV and optical out to my home theater receiver I noticed that there was no Dolby Digital AC3 decoding.
This new TV replaces a Bravia HX850. The HX850 had no issues passing AC3 though optical to my HT receiver.
My verification that the X900E could not was plugging the optical cable into the rear of my satellite receiver (and also tried with my cable provider's box). AC3 decoding was immediate direct from either sat/cable receiver to my HT receiver.

I tried different Sound settings in the X900E menu to no avail.
I placed the HX850 TV close and duplicated cabling, using the sat box/HDMI and optical out on the TV to my HT receiver. AC3 decoding was immediate.

Several calls (2 disconnections) to Sony Support got me to elevated support finally.
The representative was unclear of my description of no Dolby Digital AC3 decoding using the TV optical out to my home theater receiver. In the course of an hour and a half she finally came to the conclusion that my X900E had a defect. None of her diagnostic steps (and finally a factory reset) would enable AC3 decoding through the optical port. She had paperwork drawn up to ship another TV and to pick up the one I have.
She could not verify if the replacement would not be able to decode AC3 on the optical port.
I've searched forums for questions and answers if this is a defect or if the TV simply will not do the job.
But my HX850 does it just fine with no special menu settings or headaches.

Since last night I've opted to spend more cash and return this TV and exchange it for an XBR55X930E.
Can people who read this reply if the X930E will do what my HX850 does with ease?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Alan_P
Explorer

How rapid is Sony's response to these issues?
I see many views but no responses.
If my TV decoded AC3 at the factory and the software update which occurred upon initial setup disabled it i'd like to try a rollback.

Is an Android "patch" available which will fix the problem or does Sony wait until enough people address the problem before they distribute a fix?

Have I made a big mistake buying an Android TV or made a Sony mistake?
Offering a replacement was nice but is it proven that bugs are fixed or if my new TV is actually defective? Because other forums seem to hint that Dolby 5.1 (AC3) is "broken" on Android optical out.

For now I can surely switch sources (Roku, Sat, Cable, DVD/Blu Ray) on my HT receiver. But I've had to purchase additional optical cables and now have to switch receiver sources (a previously unneeded requirement).

I'm just wondering if Sony was a wise choice for a new TV. The past few I've had had software updates that went stagnant, and no fix was ever issued for the Rovi programming guide. But video and audio was pretty damned good.

SONY, please relpy. Are you going to diligently work on your Android/TV "bugs"?