Join now - be part of our community!

XD80 Series - Poor connection speed via ethernet

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

XD80 Series - Poor connection speed via ethernet

Hi, I have made several test on the speed and I realized that I cannot reach 50Mbs/s (max speed of the provider) on the kd49x8077 TV using the ethernet cable. All other devices are able to reach that speed via cable. Then I thought the problem might come from an old devolo powerline on which the TV was connected. I bought new powerlines from AVM (1200Mbs/s) but I did not solve. To exclude that the problem was in electrical circuit of the house I did the same test connecting a laptop to the same cable on the same wall plug (see pic below). Are you aware of any limitation/problem that affects the LAN port?

IMG_20171021_072140.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DK.title
reiche1

There has been other complaints about the (wired) ethernet speed in this forum, and indeed it isn't impressive, even to local devices.

If you have a 5Ghz WiFi, then I suggest you try connecting the TV to the internet through this instead.

Note: As I remember you need to disconnect the ethernet to get the WiFi connected.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

The 5Ghz card does not work better, I get exactly the same speed as the ethernet one. I totally regret this purchase. Sony should contact their customers and offer them a solution or replacing the entire motherboard. This hardware is totally crap. I have seen the moderators of this forum suggesting to buy a TV box to overcome all the problem this xxxxing product has, is it a joke? If Sony cannot replace the hardware they should give money back or at least offer a voucher for buy a good TV box. This TV is far to be smart.

Moreover I have noticed that the TV has only 1575Mb of RAM such that it can be sold as 2Gb device. 

I will test if the TV is able to stream 4K movie via LAN connection, if not I will send the product back.  

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have a 49XD8099 and via Ethernet, with two powerline XyZel PLA5206 v2 adpaters I get the full 100 Mbps etehrnet bandwidth.

First of all you should check the speed you get from the PC plugged to the Ethernet with the cable you're currently using with the television. This to be sure that the powerline adapters aren't the cause of the slow down. Then I'd suggest to use fast.com as speedtest site, I believe it is the lightest (the botteleneck may be the CPU and not the connection itself). I have had times where the bandwitdh measured via speedtest.net was much lower than the real bandwitdh measured with fast.com.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

Thanks for replying! On the pic I have posted here I'm showing the test you suggested. I bought two new powerlines from AVM because I though the problem was due to old devolo homeplug. The laptop connected to the same cable get almost 50Mbp but not the TV. I find speedtest from Ookla heavy too, that is why I have used pxs.speedtest.com.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

I have updated the TV and I did again another speedtest:

TV: 19.4 in download and 2.8 in upload

Laptop: 53.5 in download and 3.4 in upload

same cable, same plug...any idea? 

Which processor and how much RAM does your TV have? 

PS: On speedtest.net the upload test does not work for the TV. All other device do not have this problem. Do you have the same issue? Do you know how can we open or close the ports of the firewall on the Android TV?

profile.country.DK.title
reiche1

I just tested using the built-in Opera browser. I'm connected through 5G Wi-Fi.

Using speedtest.net I first got 23Mbit down. Up did not work. Then on a second attempt I got 32Mbit down.

Using fast.com I got 31Mbit. 

The results is as good as it can be, as I subscribe to 30Mbit 🙂

These tests was run on my 55" XD9305 using ATV1 platform (Mediatek MT5890 SoC ) with the recent v3.925 update.

According to KODI I've got 1504MB RAM og which 74% is used right now.