Join now - be part of our community!

XF9005 cannot playback HDR from intel nuc

profile.country.GR.title
allareas
Explorer

XF9005 cannot playback HDR from intel nuc

Hello I'm trying to get HDR from my HTPC (intel nuc with intel graphics 605 that support 4k/60Hz from HDMI 2.0a), all drivers are up to date for windows 10 pro.

My setup is as follows:

1.Pioneer VSX 930 connected to the ARC HDMI of the TV, plus an optical cable.

2.Fire tv stick 4k connected to the receiver (in HDMI that supports HDCP 2.2)

3.PS4 Pro connected to the receiver (in HDMI that supports HDCP 2.2)

All HDMI cables are high speed 2.0 and I have the following issues:

Nuc cannot playback without major issues in sound and movement when playing high bit rate files e.g. 4k remux DTS, either from Kodi or other player e.g. KMP.

Is anyone else having the same issues with me, and is there a solution to the problem?

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If it is the HTPC that is playing the video via the HDMI port, why you are you looking for TV problems? it is just a monitor in this scenario

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @allareas,

to me this sounds like the intel NUC has issues with playing the files. I don't think the TV is to blame here.

- Nic

profile.country.GR.title
allareas
Explorer

I’m not blaming the tv, I was just asking if anyone had similar issues and if it was a solution for that. 

Windows recognize the tv in 3840x2160 resolution but not as HDR that’s why I am asking. 

Thanks anyway for your answers. 

Although the ps4 pro in the monitor settings says that I’m not getting the best resolution from the tv and I would try to change the tv settings for the best performance. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Did you activate the  enhanced for the hdmi ports in order to activate the full 4k hdr 60fps bandwidth? In any case it was not what you asked for in the previous post..  
profile.country.GR.title
allareas
Explorer

I’m having a couple of problems with the connection between the tv and the sources from the avr that’s why I asked about the ps4. 

I thought it was better than to open a new thread. 

The other problem I am having is when I change the avr settings to 4K 4:4:4 I get flickering screen. 

The avr specifications are more than enough to pass through 4K and Dolby atoms sound. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

That's a third problem. You cannot pass 4k 60fps 444  chroma through hdmi 2.0. Not enough bandwidth.
profile.country.GR.title
allareas
Explorer

Hello Rooobb,

as I see from the specs of XF9005, supports 4k 60fps 4.4.4, so in ps4 pro is supported to.

What is the meaning to have this feature if HDMI 2.0 cannot pass the specific signal.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@allareas not with HDR enabled. You can have 4k 60 fps 4:4:4 or 4k 60fps HDR fps 4:2:0 

https://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2018/05/16/hdmi-data-rates-for-4k-hdr

That's by HDMI 2.0 specification.

Strangely some reported that the HDMI/ARC port on Sony TV seems to have a wider bandwidth that allows sometimes to have 4K 60 fps HDR RGB (or 4:4:4), you may try but it is outsides specification in any case.

profile.country.GR.title
allareas
Explorer

OK thanks again for your answer.

I did not realize the difference, so to get the best from the ps4 pro I got to disable the HDR from the tv and enable the avr's option for 4k 60 fps 4:4:4 , correct?