Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube HDR... finally

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

YouTube HDR... finally

YouTube HDR content is finally available!

You will find a playlist here. However, these clips will be played as SDR on Sonys for now.

With youtube-dl you can find vp9.2 encodings for those clips:

330          webm       256x144    144p60  156k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 2.38MiB
331          webm       426x240    240p60  256k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 3.87MiB
332          webm       640x360    360p60  485k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 7.35MiB
333          webm       854x480    480p60  909k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 13.83MiB
334          webm       1280x720   720p60 1991k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 28.18MiB
335          webm       1920x1080  1080p60 3201k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 49.70MiB
336          webm       2560x1440  1440p60 11166k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 170.23MiB
337          webm       3840x2160  2160p60 20122k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 335.45MiB

Those are webm however which the native Video app won't play.

We will see whether we will get support for it soon, even for the early 2016 models with the old MediaTek SoC from last year. At least Sony promised that back at CES:

Spoiler
YouTube will also start streaming in HDR quality later this year, using a new VP9-Profile 2 codec that brings HDR support to Google’s VP9 video format. Sony’s Motoi Kawamura, Head of TV Product Planning for Sony Europe, confirmed to FlatpanelsHD that the 2016 models will support VP9-Profile 2 and be capable of streaming YouTube in HDR. We saw a demo at CES and it looked very good.

Source

401 REPLIES 401
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@sonyfan0012 wrote:

A shady url that only the Cobalt, given credentials before the start, can
get into.

Since you want to argue, let's argue. What credentials? The app doesn't need any credentials to play the YouTube videos. One can sign off and the videos still show and play. But sure you miss the history, channel subscriptions and customised suggestions.

Also if with "shady URL" you mean https://youtube.com/tv, I am afraid you need to rethink it. Cobalt infrastructure or less, the app must access the YouTube HTTPD servers via APIs. For sure not via a simple "shady" URL.

And one of those API is missing in the Android TV version. The one that has the ability to choose the channel, present instead on Samsung/LG TVs, consoles, etc. Which currently is the major outcry in the YouTube Help Forums.

Then if your personal complaint is about the interface look and feel.. Good luck with that. Technically YouTube is a subsidiary company of Google. Their core business is to allow all possible platforms to watch and share their videos, not to write Android apps. Thus I imagine that to YouTube a common, unified interface just made sense. It would be fine with me as well, if it wasn't that it isn't really unified. In Android TV it keeps lacking features, and that is outrageous.

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

To sonyfan:

Please mate stop repeating yourself... Most of us doesn't care if this is a whole new design or just a 7 years old web view. Personally me, would be happier if they used material design straight from the phone, but they didn't. Or at least they put all the extras from it. The problem is that we don't have the same functions in this like the mobile app has. 

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

By credentials I mean: at the first time that you open the " app" the only
action asked by Cobalt, or rather, action performed is to bounce off every
account that is not the one attached to the Google profile, then it loads
the site...

And by "shady url" I meant the one you wrote, yes, but it is being load by
the servers thru the one I wrote.

And I don't wanna argue because every Android site already reported it is a
site being loaded on a Cobalt browser. Issue settled.
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The underlying video player is native code which is why it supports background playback. At some point you need to access the TV's video hardware which you can't really from HTML code. The UI is a web interface. Same as with Netflix and I still can't see anything wrong with it. It does not necessarily imply bad performance. And as for design, tastes are different anyway and in world of apps where each of them imposes a different (design) philosophy I could really care less about that.

I think the app is fine design-wise, you think it is not. Let's just respect each others' opinions. I really think we should leave it at that.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

It's using much more cpu because it's running on top of Cobald framework.

People on the Google products page are reporting rebots and freezing.

Sony has to ask Google to roll back this "update" and actually update the native app.

native 4k playback was smooth. My tv never crashed, never rebooted on youtube.

I am in shock still.

Modderator please escalate this to sony.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

I am just horrified.

Please, Mod, ask Sony to put pressure on Google regarding this lackluster "update".

Our folks are complaining about reboots, freezing, lags.

The former real app was way smoother.

They need to acknoledge defeat and roll it back. And actually do the HDR implementing on the native app!

It blended well with the Androids' Material UI design.

it's what we paid for. A high end OS system for the Tv at home.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sonyfan0012

Sony is aware of some of the issues within the YouTube app.  However like many things within apps this is up to the app developer to sort out

There is a thread on the YouTube forums about all this and account switching.  Suggest having a read and replying on thier forums:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/1fMhVozi9Lg

Also, you can contact Google/YouTube themselves via:

https://www.youtube.com/androidtv_feedback

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

YouTube 2.0 still consumes 5% of the CPU when being minimized (put into background).

Hope that Nougat soon arrives on ATV1 too so that we can kill YouTube via task switcher...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I just checked. After the update it was quite a mess in terms of performances. YouTube had some 10-20% CPU usage doing nothing. Then for once I remembered to clear the whole Android cache (and I do it once in a while, just to be sure). This is what I get today with YouTube in foregroung, obviously without playing videos:

Mem: 1520992K used, 92720K free, 83636K shrd, 18848K buff, 236776K cached
CPU:  1.7% usr  5.2% sys  0.0% nic 92.8% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.0% sirq
Load average: 34.78 35.98 37.03 3/2543 4128
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
 1255     1 system   S <   156m  9.9   0  1.0 /system/bin/surfaceflinger
29045     2 root     DW       0  0.0   1  0.9 [SonySOPQCtrlVdo]
 3510  1264 u0_a140  S    1220m 77.2   3  0.6 {roid.youtube.tv} com.google.android.youtube.tv

It didn't go above 0.6%. Putting YouTube in background is even lower, about 0.3-0.4%.

I must specify the the TV was rebooted just a couple of hours ago. It does seem to matter. A lot in some cases.

profile.country.GB.title
benfryer
Explorer

It's well known this update is nothing more than a load of old chuff, rather than wasting anymore time on this, just go to the settings - apps - YouTube and untinstall the latest update....it will roll back to the native app and life will be good again, minus the HDR of course but who cares? 4K res videos look awesome still!

You people worry to much about frankly minimal improvement, yeah HDR is ok but it doesn't come close to back in the day when we jumped from SD to HD! Now that was amazing! Pure pleasure to the eyes....to be frank, it's all a huge marketing ploy to make us all buy better tellys nothing more! chill out and enjoy the world in the highest definition possible to human kind.....through your eyes! 

Peace and love all!