Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube HDR... finally

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

YouTube HDR... finally

YouTube HDR content is finally available!

You will find a playlist here. However, these clips will be played as SDR on Sonys for now.

With youtube-dl you can find vp9.2 encodings for those clips:

330          webm       256x144    144p60  156k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 2.38MiB
331          webm       426x240    240p60  256k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 3.87MiB
332          webm       640x360    360p60  485k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 7.35MiB
333          webm       854x480    480p60  909k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 13.83MiB
334          webm       1280x720   720p60 1991k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 28.18MiB
335          webm       1920x1080  1080p60 3201k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 49.70MiB
336          webm       2560x1440  1440p60 11166k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 170.23MiB
337          webm       3840x2160  2160p60 20122k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 335.45MiB

Those are webm however which the native Video app won't play.

We will see whether we will get support for it soon, even for the early 2016 models with the old MediaTek SoC from last year. At least Sony promised that back at CES:

Spoiler
YouTube will also start streaming in HDR quality later this year, using a new VP9-Profile 2 codec that brings HDR support to Google’s VP9 video format. Sony’s Motoi Kawamura, Head of TV Product Planning for Sony Europe, confirmed to FlatpanelsHD that the 2016 models will support VP9-Profile 2 and be capable of streaming YouTube in HDR. We saw a demo at CES and it looked very good.

Source

401 REPLIES 401
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@benfryer Actualy this update doesn't play video in HDR on Bravia TV. And it rarely goes to 2160 either. Many videos that used to play at 2160p now play at 1440p max. The only good news is that many 2160p videos that played at 1080p max in the previous version now play at 1440p as well.

Still, I prefer the new interface and also in terms of performances it is acceptable (I had plenty of 1080p60fps videos stuttering in the previous version. Well, maybe it depended on the day). My biggest complaint is the lack of the channel selection at login. But after subscribing to a couple of channels now at least I get the suggestions more in line with what I like, so I can deal with it. Just after updating they were all Italian junk (idiotic youtubers, football, nail polishing and crap like that). Quite irritating.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

2.0.0.19 is available. Said to fix some performance issues. Will test later.

Still no brand accounts or HDR playback though...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Oh well. At least in the app description now they promised to add the "brand accounts" (channel selection) in a future update. 

Oh, still no 2160p either. I just tested few videos that were playing at 4K in v1.3.11.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

Are you serious?

This update is useless and nothing has changed, if not, gotten worse. I installed it in one of my tvs and after getting out of it, ir crashed!

Very nice update!

No 4k, no brand accounts, same UI, same everything. Just under the hood changed to the poor, old code of the web version to try to make it run smoother on the browser framework.

Another absolute fail. AGAIN.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I'd love to know where any of us said that this new update 2.00.19 improved anything or that it is a nice update.. @Kuschelmonschter reported what's in the Google Play description and said that he will test it, while I confirmed that 2160p still is not working, and that Google promised the brand account will be added in a future update.

Still v2.0 never crashed on me. They say that keeping crying brings bad karma. That must be it, I suppose.. :smile:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

What a drama queen...

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

If by Drama Queen is to request the  best, then yes!

One thing I am not, is a Beta tester!

The software released is not even close to be considered a Beta!

They simply ported this THING to android tv and launched in the wild

as it was.

Nothing has changed and they do not wanna go back to the native app!

They just don't want to acknoledge defeat!

They will bring brand account access in the next weeks buit it will still be

a horrid user experience, nonetheless!

Videos start at the lowest kbps, looking horrible on a 65'' screen.

User interface is absolute trash.

And the worst. The crashes. A recurrent problem with android tv apps

that use wrappers. Just like the Facebook app!

The only thing that worked well was the freaking native app and now is a mess.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Navigation is still laggy on my ATV1, even though keyboard navigtion in search has become more responsive in 2.0.0.19. The native Android TV keyboard in YouTube 1.X is still way superior though as it has better support for input from mobile devices and also localization.

Also when quickly flicking through videos by holding down right or left button, the new YouTube 2.0 is way slower and more laggy compared to the old native app.

2.0.0.19 brought down CPU usage a bit for me, both in idle/background or while playing video. High frame rate video is less jerky compared to 2.0.0.18 where apparently lots of frames got dropped. The World in HDR still has a constant judder to it (looks like rendering is not in sync with the display's VSync) though whereas with YouTube 1.3 it is buttery smooth (in both cases played at the maximum of 1440p60 with the same amount of Motionflow applied).

So my biggest concerns after testing 2.0.0.19 are:

- high frame rate 4K video plays at 1440p60 max. (e.g. The World in HDR)

- high frame rate video has a constant judder to it (e.g. The World in HDR)

- still high CPU load while playing video

- navigation more laggy (guess we have to live with that in a non-native app)

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

You should just have said:

It's a piece of sh&%!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

No, because just trolling around does not help anybody. You will have to live with the new direction Google is taking here, so make the best out of it. Deal with the fact that Android TV is cheap and insignificant sh, especially on the weak Sony/MediaTek Smart TVs...