Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube HDR... finally

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

YouTube HDR... finally

YouTube HDR content is finally available!

You will find a playlist here. However, these clips will be played as SDR on Sonys for now.

With youtube-dl you can find vp9.2 encodings for those clips:

330          webm       256x144    144p60  156k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 2.38MiB
331          webm       426x240    240p60  256k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 3.87MiB
332          webm       640x360    360p60  485k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 7.35MiB
333          webm       854x480    480p60  909k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 13.83MiB
334          webm       1280x720   720p60 1991k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 28.18MiB
335          webm       1920x1080  1080p60 3201k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 49.70MiB
336          webm       2560x1440  1440p60 11166k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 170.23MiB
337          webm       3840x2160  2160p60 20122k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 335.45MiB

Those are webm however which the native Video app won't play.

We will see whether we will get support for it soon, even for the early 2016 models with the old MediaTek SoC from last year. At least Sony promised that back at CES:

Spoiler
YouTube will also start streaming in HDR quality later this year, using a new VP9-Profile 2 codec that brings HDR support to Google’s VP9 video format. Sony’s Motoi Kawamura, Head of TV Product Planning for Sony Europe, confirmed to FlatpanelsHD that the 2016 models will support VP9-Profile 2 and be capable of streaming YouTube in HDR. We saw a demo at CES and it looked very good.

Source

401 REPLIES 401
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Jecht_Sinschrieb:

Is it something to do with VP9.2?

One important fact could be that those demo clips are full 16:9 without black bars. Your TV without local dimming isn't the best HDR set. So the black bars might give it a hard time (washed out look)... Then also, it is 60p with lots of bits being thrown at it. Plus they usually pick nice and colorful sceneries for those demos :wink: . Nothing to do with VP9.2...

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh, demos are usually highly tuned, I've not got Netflix so cannot compare how good they look. I have always been impressed with Amazon HDR stuff though. Just not enough 4K HDR stuff there.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Since my Sony replaced the Amazon Video app with the Prime Video app from the Play Store, I am not seeing any 4K content on Amazon anymore anyway...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Why that? On my tv in Italy there is still grand tour in hdr and a list of 4k titles at the last row of the main screen  
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Is your Amazon app still called Amazon Video with the black logo? Or has it been replaced by Prime Video app with the blue logo?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Prime video from play store
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Last time I checked was last Thursday. It did not show me the 4K HDR tiles (e.g. from The Grand Tour) anymore. Might also be a regional problem. It has been reported on German forums by others too.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh I had the same issue, you have to manually scroll down pages to find the 4K stuff, it's rediculous. Using the search does not result in 4K. So yeh it's a case of just scrolling down the main screen and finding the 4K section.

profile.country.GB.title
bitbyte83
New

i have the same problem,

i tried 3 days to contact amazon and find a solution... fist i was in denmark, then UK, ...

You can play 4K videos in the Amazon Prime App, but it is very difficult to find it.

Try to Search for "UHD", you will find some Videos but not all

or you search on the Amazon Webpage and add the Video to the Watchlist

I think Amazon hide the 4K contents to save Bandwith 🙂

best regards

Silvio

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@stormyukschrieb:

Yeh I had the same issue, you have to manually scroll down pages to find the 4K stuff, it's rediculous. Using the search does not result in 4K. So yeh it's a case of just scrolling down the main screen and finding the 4K section.

Thanks. Found it. They really seem to be hiding 4K stuff now as you really have to scroll a long time to get there.