Join now - be part of our community!

YouView not working

profile.country.GB.title
inessex
Explorer

YouView not working

Paid £1,000 for a Sony Google TV. Why did I?? YouView doesn't work despite 4 or 5 contacts with Sony. Re-set everything. New software which is not as usable as previouse. Decided not to use YouView.  This meant that if I want to watch ITV catchup I Have to install YouView.  This leaves me without progam guide. So back to using Ipad and Chromecast 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

For itv catchup, and All4, outside of YouView on these sets, look up Hoshsadiq on the internet.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
inessex
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. I understand the are ways of getting catchup which I have indeed been using for years on prviouse TVs. My point being I have paod £1,000 for a TV that should be aligned to YouView. If I use YouView for catchup I then don't have a TV program listing as YouView doesn't work and Sony can't tell me how to get it to work.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@inessex 

Alas, the world is full of ‘shoulds’.

Everybody is tiptoeing around the problems with the EPG not populating properly on these sets, and YouView themselves will only say ‘it is with Sony to fix’.

Which implies that it’s not a YouView bug, but rather that the YouView code is calling lower-level Sony or Android middleware or firmware that it has no choice but to rely on, which is returning incorrect responses.

Is all this serious enough to send you back to the retailer, claiming you were mis-sold, or are you going to tough it out, waiting for these things to get fixed, for the sake of the undoubtedly gorgeous picture it produces?

profile.country.GB.title
inessex
Explorer

Sony rang and talked me through all the things I have been trying for a year. WOW it worked for about two weeks.

Not working again...........

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@inessex 

Yes, it will work until the Sony software takes the unhappy path again; could be seconds, days, weeks as in your case, months, years.....

After which it may work again after a Factory Reset, until the next time.

But it will never be satisfactory until Sony fix the underlying bug(s).