Join now - be part of our community!

problem with my HDR-HC9 video camera

profile.country.en_GB.title
NapierNimbus
Visitor

problem with my HDR-HC9 video camera

my HDR-HC9 (Sony lists this as HDR-HC9E but my model is HDR-HC9) has recently developed a random fault of when recording the image starts vibrating/shaking - the movement is very small but very annoying and is reflected on the final playback image so not just a viewfinder fault.  I film freehand and do not use a tripod the Sony SteadyShot is turned on.  The fault can be apparent at the start and I have found if I zoom in to max and then slowly zoom out it seems to stop.  However it can come on while filming when obviously I can do nothing about it as my hobby is filming trains - my YouTube handle is NapierNimbus.  I have tried turning the SteadyShot off and back on again with no luck.  Any ideas on how to cure this?  Many thanks  Ian

8 REPLIES 8
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Ian - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Other than trying to perform a full reset of the camera back to its factory settings (by inserting a small pin or paperclip into the 'reset' hole), this may indicate that there is a physical fault within the camera and your best course of action would depend upon the length of time that you have had it.

Whether or not it is covered by the standard 12 month warranty, if you contact Sony Customer Services they will be able to advise you about your best option. There is a forum thread with more information about this here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Thanks,

Simon

NapierNimbus
Visitor

many thanks Simon for the advice

Ian

@3181682601022891
Visitor

Hi there Simon, did you ever find out a solution to this, I have exactly the same problem which means I can't use my camera at all!

NapierNimbus
Visitor

Hi mate I guess you meant me rather than Simon - sorry you are having problems - I contacted service centre was advised intermitent faults very difficult to trace and could get camera back and find fault may surface again if does not appear while being investigated.  I did a factory reset on it and that did seem to resolve the problem.  Was behaving itself and running fine, I go out filming most weekends - then went out to get a very critical once only shot, practice shots at the scene were fine, come the critical shot the fault reappeared the minute I started filming and no matter what I did could I get the fault to clear - it totally ruined the shot - so was curtains for the camera from that point as could not go through that again.  I've had it a few years and decided to move on as technology has moved on as well.  So its in the cupboard to keep available for playing tapes back when required.  Ian

@3181682601022891
Visitor

Hi Ian, yes sorry, I meant you. although I may have got somewhere, I have just been phoning around repair centres and the first one I called, said, Oh the hdr hc9, let me guess, shakey video when it warms up, I'll send you an e-mail, you need to update the software - I havent heard back yet but it sounds promising! I tried phoning sony too but there systems are down and they are calling me back within 24 hrs...

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello and welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As far as I am aware, for this model of camcorder there is no software/firmware update that can be done to rectify any internal issues so I am not really sure about what that repair centre is saying. Have you already tried resetting the camera using a small object in the 'RESET' whole.

Other than that, have you heard back from Sony yet?

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
nevillestyke

Sony service centre can re-set the firmware to change the reactive feedback loop of the vertical direction of the optical stabilizer (turning the camera on its side will usually stop the vibration). See:

https://vimeo.com/181229317

Re-setting the firmware rarely works for very long.

I can fix this by taking the lens system apart and repairing the root cause of this.

profile.country.GB.title
nevillestyke

I've just repaired a couple of Sony HDR-CX6EK Camcorders for a customer, as the lens block is identical to the one in the tape camcorders and can suffer from the same problem and can be repaired in the same manner.

You may be able to contact me through my ebay shop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/camerasaurous