Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RX10 MklV

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Sony RX10 MklV

I am an 81yo hobby wildlife photographer and down weighted from a Canon and Fuji to this camera.

I am seriously struggling to get decent, sharp images from this camera. I find the focus area large compared to what I am used to, and struggle to pinpoint on, for example, a small bird in a bush.

I also find the image stabilisation, SteadyShot, lacking. I have tried all three settings.

I currently use:

Focus Area - Flexible Spot

Focus dial - usually Continuous but have tried Single.

Exposure (which works fine) Centre.

It's a focus thing so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Please see the following Help Guide here, regarding the Focus Mode for the RX10 IV.

Best wishes,

Sean 

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Thanks Sean but I have read all the manual bits on focus, 😎

I think I've just got to get used to not having a focus "spot" in the middle as I had with my previous cameras, which I could accurately position on a small bird or animal, knowing that it would be the subject the camera would focus on. On the MklV there is quite a large "square" focus area which can incorporate a twig or small branch (as I have found) and it focuses on that.

Any way, practice will hopefully sort it out!🤪

profile.country.SE.title
clager
Explorer

Strange you should say this!...I think focus is spot-on! extremely reliable and in every mode. I also use dslr's but seriously considering dumping all the heavy gear in favour of this camera and I shoot for a living.

are you sure its not just a faulty sample?  maybe you should speak to the shop where you bought it?

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Thanks for that clager. Do you get a "spot" or a square as the smallest focus area?

As a matter of interest, how can one check the correct functioning of the "SteadyShot" (image stabilisation)? I cannot see any difference in the stability of the viewfinder image with it on or off🙄