Join now - be part of our community!

Video transfer to Mac mini

profile.country.GB.title
jasmonk
Explorer

Video transfer to Mac mini

I have a Sony cyber shot bridge camera. How can you transfer video files to a Mac mini now that Play Memories no longer works as it hasn’t been updated to be compatible with the current Mac operating system?

Still pictures can be brought across using the standard photos app or finder, but the videos seem to be a totally different ball game!

Any help would be appreciated 

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @jasmonk,

you can always manually access the SD-card of the camera to transfer the videos/photos to your harddrive.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
jasmonk
Explorer

Thanks that’s what I thought I could do but for some reason they don’t show up even though I know they are on the card!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @jasmonk,

what do you mean by

@jasmonk  schrieb:

they don’t show up

are you looking in the right directory?

They are not stored in the same location as the photos.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
jasmonk
Explorer

Yes I know they appear in a different place. They appear as 1 file by the looks of it that open in QuickTime, which for some reason keeps crashing! Think I’ve got around it by using iMovie. I’ve changed file type on camera to mp4 for future as they seem to come across without any problem unlike the file type that was selected previously 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @jasmonk,

use VLC Media Player - QuickTime doesn't support the video codec (XAVC-S) the camera probably records in (which is packed into a MP4 container).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
jasmonk
Explorer

Thanks I’ll give it a go if I can find it!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @jasmonk,

this is the official download-site: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
jasmonk
Explorer

Yes I know that thank you. I can also connect the camera directly and transfer them, that wasn’t the problem I had! Transferring was no problem it was them playing that didn’t seem to work, since QuickTime keeps crashing for some reason or another. I’ve since got round it by using iMovie and another piece of software suggested by someone.

thanks anyway it is appreciated 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @jasmonk,

@jasmonk  schrieb:

Transferring was no problem it was them playing that didn’t seem to work, since QuickTime keeps crashing for some reason or another. 

Yes, that is why I suggested to use the VLC-Video-Player instead of QuickTime. VLC is no import software but a software to play videos.

- Nic