Join now - be part of our community!

BLUE RAY BDP S350 Firmware

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

BLUE RAY BDP S350 Firmware

I would like to know the last firmware up date for the DVD player BDP S350 please.

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Click on the link below to get to the Sony Support site for your Blu-Ray player.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/bdp-s350/downlo...

Then click on Sony Home Audio and Video : Firmware Downloads.

As you can see the last update was released in February 2011 and updated the player to version 024.

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

Thank you Davey64,

Last week I did an auto update using ethernet cable  "firmware version 024, now updated"

However still unable to play Blue ray disc's purchased July 2024.

Can anyone shed some light upon why Blue ray disc's do not play  ? in the Sony Blue Ray BDP S350 please.

I can confirm out of the 11 Blue ray disc's purchased all are correct codes and clean.

Screen said "Cannot operate this disc"

DVD's happy to play.

thank you in advance.

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

The other question I was unable to find an answer was this page indicates that the S350 can have firmware 026.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/downloads/W0007712

"This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version 026 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version 024:"

I highlighted in blue below S350 

I downloaded this firmware tried the UBS method no joy.

Any ideas ?

I suspect the firmware using the ethernet method is stuck at 024 and needs to be updated to 026.

Or the links in here are incorrect.

thank you 

Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 14.13.57.png

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Interesting you found a further update to 026, but one thing to note is that update is on the Sony USA site

so it may be possible that this update is only for USA models.

As you are asking your question in the Sony UK support site and your avatar has a Union flag I am presuming you are in the UK. When you use the Sony UK support site you are only offered the 024 update as linked to previously.

This may also be the case if you are trying to upgrade via internet and only being offered 024 as your machine is registering with Sonys servers that your machine is UK specifications.

Next you mention you tried to upgrade via USB, the Sony support site only mentions two ways of upgrading either by internet connection or creating a CD.

The page you linked to is the Mac downloadable version so I am presuming you like me are on a Mac.

Initially it downloads as .zip file. On completion  the file should automatically unzip to a .iso file and it is this

that you use to create the upgrade CD disc. Is this what you did.

Is this Blu-Ray player new to you. Does it play Blu Ray discs other than the ones you bought recently.

If it is not playing any Blu Ray discs at all then it could be that the Blu Ray laser set has failed.

The machine has different laser sets one for reading CDs,  one for DVDs and one for Blu Ray.

If the Blu Ray set has failed then that would answer why you are unable to play Blu Ray but the player will still function as a DVD or CD player.

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

Hello daveyh64,

First thank you very much for the time and efforts in replying it is appreciated.

I try and answer here the best I can.

1:

Interesting you found a further update to 026, but one thing to note is that update is on the Sony USA site

so it may be possible that this update is only for USA models.

Answer interesting here's me thinking its like an IOS update across the globe.

I suspect USA server updated in Europe no one addressed the issue.

2: 

As you are asking your question in the Sony UK support site and your avatar has a Union flag I am presuming you are in the UK. When you use the Sony UK support site you are only offered the 024 update as linked to previously.

Answer yes in Uk 

3:

Next you mention you tried to upgrade via USB, the Sony support site only mentions two ways of upgrading either by internet connection or creating a CD.

Answer, I need to re find the video I watched a person update by CD, internet and USB.

4:

The page you linked to is the Mac downloadable version so I am presuming you like me are on a Mac.

Initially it downloads as .zip file. On completion  the file should automatically unzip to a .iso file and it is this

that you use to create the upgrade CD disc. Is this what you did.

Answer, correct Mac, tried the USB suggestion however no option as per video I watched.

Also no CD burner here in 2024.

5:

Is this Blu-Ray player new to you. Does it play Blu Ray discs other than the ones you bought recently.

Answer,  It has in the past played Blue ray however none of these now play. Including the new BR discs purchased.

Have re inserted old BR discs no joy.

Same error.

6: 

If it is not playing any Blu Ray discs at all then it could be that the Blu Ray laser set has failed.

Answer, occasionally it plays the newer BR discs for about 40 seconds and then stops.

Somewhere in the forum I read someone else has had the same experiences.

I think you could be correct here,

The machine has different laser sets one for reading CDs,  one for DVDs and one for Blu Ray.

( I did not know this thank you )

If the Blu Ray set has failed then that would answer why you are unable to play Blu Ray but the player will still function as a DVD or CD player.

I think I have a look at this solution as a possible.

https://youtu.be/GfOWAhxoZtc?feature=shared

thank you for the inputs and ideas daveyh64  

Here is another BDPS350 this one will read some DVDs some of the time and no CD or Bluray discs. Lets see if this one cane be fixed, or will magic smoke come out of this one? I'm betting on a whips of smoke myself.
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hey @DVD00999 

Did you try to reset the DVD player if you're still facing the same issue and test again page 53: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4120/41208911M.pdf

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

Hello EMS,

I did indeed try this with the Sony tech over the phone no joy. Thank you for the input. 
I did take to Sony dealer they said blue ray lazier fine update firmware 

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hey @DVD00999 

Do you mean that the device only needs to be updated? 

I do believe it needs to be inspected, though

If it doesn't play DVD discs, and all possible steps have been made 

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

Hi EMS,

Shop said update the firmware.

I have. (024)

DVD's play fine.

Blue Ray no.

Shop said blue Ray Laser works and fine.