Join now - be part of our community!

BLUE RAY BDP S350 Firmware

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

BLUE RAY BDP S350 Firmware

I would like to know the last firmware up date for the DVD player BDP S350 please.

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

You have said in the past your Blu Ray player does not play Blu Ray discs.

So how does a 'Sony shop' give it a clear bill of health and you accept that?

I have also told you that the 026 update was only available via the Sony USA  site and therefore only for

the USA versions of your Sony Blu Ray player.

As you are in the UK / Europe that update is not available for your version of this Blu Ray player.

You have also shared a You Tube video of a fix for the Blu Players alignment issue where it is capable of reading CDs/ DVDs but unable to play Blu Ray discs even though both the red laser and the blue laser are working.

This was according to the You Tube poster needing to tighten or loosen screws (as appropriate) on the transport system. Have you  tried that?

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

Hi Dave,

You have said in the past your Blu Ray player does not play Blu Ray discs.

Did in the past, not now.

So how does a 'Sony shop' give it a clear bill of health and you accept that?

They are experts  not me, do I accept 50-50.

I have also told you that the 026 update was only available via the Sony USA  site and therefore only for

the USA versions of your Sony Blu Ray player.

As you are in the UK / Europe that update is not available for your version of this Blu Ray player.

Yes I still think 026 is higher than 024 and no one updated Europe side of firmware is a more probably reason why the Blue ray has stopped playing blue ray, after all it did before.

You have also shared a You Tube video of a fix for the Blu Players alignment issue where it is capable of reading CDs/ DVDs but unable to play Blu Ray discs even though both the red laser and the blue laser are working.

This was according to the You Tube poster needing to tighten or loosen screws (as appropriate) on the transport system. Have you  tried that?

Nope as I believe the firmware the issue, may have a look one day though.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

So your Blu Ray player is now playing Blu Ray discs, then your problem is over.

The 026 update as I have said on a few occasions is only available on the Sony US site, which means it is only available for those who have the US version of your player. This could mean that the 026 update addressed some issues only the American market players had and was not necessary to be released to other world locations such as UK/ Europe. And that is why the UK/ Europe Sony update site has the 024 update as the last available.

Did you ask your Sony expert why only the US site has the 026 update?

As you have downloaded the 026 update anyway have you found someone or somewhere where you can burn a CD

with the update on it to see if it will install. Most unlikely as the update will probably notice that your machine is a UK/ Europe spec machine and refuse to install.

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

So your Blu Ray player is now playing Blu Ray discs?

No 

The 026 update as I have said on a few occasions is only available on the Sony US site, which means it is only available for those who have the US version of your player.

Yes you have mentioned this many times. 
The Sony help line said they believe the Europe side stuck at 024 firmware.  Asia, USA etc have 026. 
which help line said could be a contributing factor. 

Did you ask your Sony expert why only the US site has the 026 update?

Sony shop I dropped off the unit, the sales person took the unit. No conversation took place re firmware. 

As you have downloaded the 026 update anyway have you found someone or somewhere where you can burn a CD

with the update on it to see if it will install. Most unlikely as the update will probably notice that your machine is a UK/ Europe spec machine and refuse to install.

No  

profile.country.GB.title
Altiar
Community Team

Hey @DVD00999 I think that this is probably a fault in the device and that you can get a proper inspection for the device with the Sony authorized service centres not the retailer as they can check it for you, and you can check the nearest one around you here don't forget to filter by  the device category, and then enter your postcode, to be able to find the nearest authorized service centre to you.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Apparently he has taken the device to a Sony repair centre, they give it a clean bill of health even though it

does not play Blu Ray discs.

The OP has already given a link to a You Tube video in another post which describes the same problem

where the device cannot read Blu Ray discs. The blue laser is not finding the lead in track on Blu Ray discs.

In the video the problem is resolved by accessing the drive and adjusting two small screws on the transport

to adjust the tracking.

Unfortunately the OP believes a firmware update that was only released for American/ Canadian market

devices will fix his European spec model. The last firmware update for the European devices was in 2011

and took the software version to 024.

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

Hello Altiar,

Yes I called the Sony help line they gave two options. Send in post or take to nearest Sony authorised service centre. Which I did do so yes, "Sony authorised service centre." has inspected unit. (All is good)

With regards to "the other person point of view, I suspect written contents get confused or mis read.

The Sony call centre said the Europe areas have not been updated to 026 and the server firmware stuck at 024 and the Sony help centre suggested this is cause of the issue. 

More so since the unit been inspected by "Sony authorised service centre.!"

So I listen to Sony help and have to take them at their word. Nothing more I can do here.

thank you for your help.

Unfortunately the OP believes a firmware update that was only released for American/ Canadian market

devices will fix his European spec model. The last firmware update for the European devices was in 2011

and took the software version to 024.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Have you found somewhere or someone to write you a CD with the 026 update on it to see if it miraculously allows you to watch Blu Ray discs again.

From what I gather you believe that as your player has not been updated to the 026 version this 

is the root of why your player no longer plays Blu Ray discs. As you know the 026 update is only available through the Sony US support site, so therefore it is not intended for UK/ European spec players.

As you believe that the absence of this update on your player is the cause of your problem then you would think that every owner of your player in the UK and Europe would have the same problem, but I don’t see any other posts with the same subject matter, if this were the case there would have been thousands over the intervening 12 years. This has led you to the conclusion that Sony are either completely oblivious to this or wilfully not including the 026 update for their UK and European customers, this would be illegal and I doubt Sony are that stupid.

Another thing I don’t understand is that you took this player to a repair shop telling them that it does not play Blu Ray discs. They apparently gave it a clean bill of health even though it cannot play Blu Ray discs

and you accepted that. Why would you accept that?

A Blu Ray player that previously played Blu Ray discs would not suddenly stop playing Blu Ray discs just because it hasn’t been updated. It is more likely to be a physical problem in the transport system.

Earlier you posted a link to a YouTube video showing a similar problem.

That was rectified by adjusting two small screws on the transport, have tried that?

profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

It seems like I hit a nerve there, but no need to get worked up davey. As I mentioned earlier, Sony provided me with the information. Also, just so you know, a quick internet search turned up the following. 

Model BDP-S350 will play dvd's but not a blu-ray disc
Never had a problem with my blu-ray player until now. The last time I used the player, I watched a dvd movie. I tried t watch a blu-ray disc today and I kept getting the error message, "unable to play disc - unknown". I tried 5-6 different blu-ray discs. I made sure the firmware was updated and I followed the troubleshooting guide. Nothing has worked. It will play dvd's but not blu-ray discs. Does anyone have a solution?

This is in the forum here, davey. I added a url from this forum "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."
profile.country.GB.title
DVD00999
Explorer

users name is 

naynay145