Join now - be part of our community!

Sweets when you were a kid.

profile.country.en_GB.title
helmccur
Visitor

Sweets when you were a kid.

Hi, I am new to Club VAIO but it seems it's all technical stuff on forum. Can anyone remember their fave sweets as a bairn? Mine were splicers ... like a bundle of opal fruits mushed together and flattened into a bar. Also pacers which were like minty chewits. :tongue:

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
lyapple
New

Pineapple chunks; mojos; aniseed balls (Jumpy, behave :smirk: ); and penny bars of Cadbury’s chocolate. My dad used to sometimes bring me a few penny bars on a Friday night when he came in from work and it was such a treat. Chocolate has never tasted so good since.

And welcome Nelly Doll. It's good to have someone posting fun stuff. Don't go. We need you! :slight_smile:

Gibbs-
Visitor

Lol yeah i get what you mean! I almost feel like my questions are too dumb to post haha
Fave sweets were probably Fruit Pastells, but skittles, spogs, and chocolate was (and still is) always good lol

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Nelly Doll and welcome.

Most sweets came from big glass jars when I was a kid - in fact you needed a Ration Book until I was about 5 years old.

It was the original 'pick-n-mix'. Most sweets like Blackjacks, Fruit Salads, Raspberry Drops, Gobstoppers, Sherbet Lemons, Shrimps or Toffees were ¼d (a farthing) each (four for an old penny) or things like Pontefract Cakes, Liquorice Allsorts, Hundreds-and-Thousands or Dolly Mixtures were sold in little white paper bags 'by the ounce' - I think 2oz. cost 1½d (a penny-halfpenny).

Wrigleys Chewing Gum came in little square packets of four lozenges and a new Wrigleys 'Juicy Fruity' Chewing Gum variety was popular for 1½d each.

Barratt’s Sherbet Fountain was a favorite for 2d, Fruit or Old English Spangles cost 3d as did the new Rowntrees Fruit Gums and Milky Ways and I remember when Mars Bars were 4d each - that's SIXTY bars for a pound!!!! How much are they now?

The expensive one was a tube of Smarties which cost 5d and that seemed quite a lot of money then (about 2p now).

Ice lollies were 1d and most shops made their own cylindrical lollies out of fruit squash - but they would go white when you sucked the flavour out. It was only a few years later that 'Orange Maid' lollies appeared made from real fruit juice.

Despite this, I still have all my own teeth!!

:tongue:

profile.country.GB.title
lyapple
New

I almost feel like my questions are too dumb to post haha

Don't worry, the questions don't come any more dumb than mine. :wink:

And Blencogo – you reminded me about spangles and about sherbet fountains. Weren’t they the ones with a liquorice stick? Used to love them. Sweets were off the ration by the time I was buying them, but it was still in the days when a 5 year old could safely walk to school without an adult. And, a little late being it’s now 4th May, I would just like to tell you all that I was the Queen of the May when I was 6 years old. :smileyblush: (It was downhill from there on. :cry: )

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Weren’t they the ones with a liquorice stick? 

Yes Pandora and very popular.

Sherbert was a big favorite and could be bought loose in a paper bag with a boiled sweet lolly to dunk. It could also be bought in 'Flying Saucers' which were made of edible rice paper with sherbert enclosed.

:pig:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Mojos, fruit salads and black jacks were my favourite.. :drool:

I remember sherbet in white paper bags, didn't have a a lolly, instead I used my finger. Only problem was the sherbet used to dye my finger and tongue.. :tongue:

Blencogo you can still buy flying saucers and I think sherbet dips are still available as well..

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I remember a bar called a 'delight.'
I was very undelighted when it seemed to disappear quite quickly after being released though.

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

My favorite as a child and happens to still be is rhubarb and custard boiled sweets, and they used to come out of a glass jar too Blencogo :wink: Along with pear drops. I have a jar of rhubarb and custard that I got in Edinburgh last time I was up. And have the odd one now and again.

angus1878
Visitor