Join now - be part of our community!

transfering dv tapes to pc

profile.country.GB.title
sleeksteve
Explorer

transfering dv tapes to pc

Hi

I have an old PC350E camcorder with lots of old holiday movies on DV tapes. It still plays ok and I can view the movies on the screen on the camera.

I want to download them to my PC but have not had any success.

I have downloaded PlayMemories Home and connected the camcorder to my computer with an S video lead to a USB port.

I can’t get the software to recognise the camcorder or transfer any movies to my computer. Do I need a special lead or other software?

Thanks,

Steve

13 REPLIES 13

Hi.

I mean how can it be so difficult for big names like Sony to not care about milions av people worldwide that have used SONY camera for taking family memorries in many many years and suddely all those memmories which are in form av DV kassetts should stay in boxes somewhere and maybe lost in some years.

I mean what the hack?? How cant Sony design a simple dings that we can buy for some resonable money and like a walkman put the DV kassett in and easy watch the films on TV?

Shame on you SONY!!!

profile.country.GB.title
sleeksteve
Explorer

Hi, do you still have your Handycam?  If so I can tell you how I managed to do it.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, if you have your camera you can connect it to your computer with a fire wire iLINK (IEEE1394) and transfer the videos.

profile.country.GB.title
sleeksteve
Explorer

I finally had success using this device from Amazon.

External USB Video Capture Card - August VGB100 - Transfer VHS Home Videos to PC / Capture Xbox 360 and PS3 Gameplay / S-Video and Composite In

It is a USB device which comes with a software CD, which also contains basic editing software. You can get cheaper ones but I bought this one from August as you get support from their website. I had to contact them and they told me how to change the settings before I could get it to work properly. I also had to download an updated software version from their website.

I connected it to my camera through the S video socket for video and the av jack for the sound.

It took a lot of perseverance but was well worth the effort to see my old videos.

(I had to use this method because there is no fire wire iLINK IEEE1394 socket on my camera, it is in the docking station which I no longer have)