Join now - be part of our community!

What HDMI Port to use with SkyQ?

profile.country.GB.title
Willie16
Explorer

What HDMI Port to use with SkyQ?

Hi

Want to connect a Sony 48A90K Tv to a UK Sky Q Box.

Which of the 4 x HDMI Ports [there is one up the side and 3 more on the underside] on this Model of Tv is the best to connect the Sky Q Box using a HDMI Cable for 4k viewing?

Also, is the HDMI Cable, with the Pink Connector, supplied with the Sky Q Box suitable to use for 4k?

Thanks for any clarification.

Tags
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

I would connect the Sky Q box to HDMI 4 leaving HDMI 3 as the eARC/ ARC connection to a soundbar or AV processor if you use that.

Make sure the HDMI connections are set to Enhanced Settings> Channels & Inputs> External Inputs> HDMI signal format, select the appropriate one for your SKY Q box.

As  for the HDMI cable, one would think that it was supplied with a HDMI cable that is 4K compatible

if not give SKY a roasting.

Many HDMI 4K cables are available make sure they are certified with a hologram and are at least 4K compliant,

they need not be too expensive.

profile.country.GB.title
Willie16
Explorer

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m still a bit confused……….

The Setup Guide provides the attached diagram as a guide but I find it confusing. Firstly, the diagram box relating to the Side of the Television Ports doesn’t even mention a HDMI Socket although there is one present? Is that supposed to be HDMI Port number1?

Secondly, as to the HDMI Ports on the underside of the TV, there are three.  are they numbered 2,3 and 4 [left to right]? Although Port 2 is clearly labelled 4k it also has a Gaming Icon associated with it. The one marked ‘ARC’ I understand and don’t have a use for just now. Is the remaining HDMI Port [4] also suitable for 4k?

Be obliged if you could set me straight.

Many thanks

IMG_9712.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

First you are mixing up HDMI ports 2 and 4.

There three ports are labelled 2,3 and 4 right to left.

HDMI ports 3 and 4 are HDMI 2.1 connections, and those are labelled as 4K 120HZ, so I would connect your SKY Q to either of those ports, if you are not using HDMI port 3 for a soundbar or AV receiver then you can use it for any other HDMI device.

HDMI ports 1 and 2 are HDMI 2.0 connections.

The difference between HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 is the bandwidth they can deliver.

HDMI 2.0 can handle 18GBs at a max of 60Hz, HDMI 2.1 will handle 48GBs at 120HZ.

HDMI ports 3 and 4 are thus suitable for gaming devices and devices that support Dolby Vision.

If you look under the HDMI signal format setting I gave you the path to yesterday you will see the extra  options for HDMI 3 and 4.

HDMI ports 1 and 2 can both handle 4k content.

Check with your SKY Q specifications what HDMI connection version it is and what is the max 4K refresh rate.

I would connect the SKY Q box to HDMI 4.

Any devices that I use permanently are connected to the HDMI ports at the back.

I use HDMI 1 on the side for connecting my computer when ever I want to use it with the TVs larger screen

profile.country.GB.title
Willie16
Explorer

That’s excellent. Now it makes sense

I hadn’t reckoned on the Chinese method of reading right to left 😀

Thank you so much for your replies. Much appreciated.