Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Amp STR DN 1050 audio problem

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Sony Amp STR DN 1050 audio problem

Dear Community, Thalamus and any other Gurus,

This is my first "post,"a desparate one at that, but I think I should at least greet you all with a BIG Hello. I have been the proud owner of my Sony Amp STR DN 1050 since last October 2014, purchased from Richer Sounds in Chester, after reading a great review in Home Cinema Choice. Despite numerous attempts by three"professional installers", not to mention a great deal of time and money spent by yours truly,my AV system is still not up and running - hence my plea to the community for some valued professional advice!

I raised my issues with Sony Technical Support via email and phone September 2nd 2015 Case ID 13140305 but after speaking with Salem, Hazem and Mohammed in Egypt they admitted my query was so technically challenging it would have to be passed up the chain of command with a promise I should hear a result by Monday 21st......I'm still waiting and exasperated! Considering I raised my issue 2nd September I remain unimpressed!

Essentially, I purchased a brand new high quality home November 2013 boasting many 'Eco Features' including Cat 5e cabling for a comprehensive AV system throughout the home. In order to embrace thIs system I purchased an Antiference TruColour 4X4 Matrix with HDBaseT Outputs to distribute Digital TV, 4K,Freesat and DVD signals from three devices to three Panasonic TVs and a Samsung 4K TV in four separate rooms. All the cabling in the entire home is sourced from 'network" wall plates in every room to a Comms cabinet in my ground floor study. My three devices in the cabinet, Humax Freesat, Panasonic DVD Recorder and Panasonic Blu Ray player all feed HDMI's into the Matrix Inputs with corresponding Patch cable Outputs from the Matrix to a 48 Port Patch Panel in my Comms Cabinet. Consequently, I cannot use the 6 HDMI inputs on the STR DN1050 and have no sound coming through my Monitor ceiling speakers! 

My good friend has an identical Antiference Matrix and I noted only yesterday his installer has employed great ingenuity in "converting a patch plug' at one end to a triple Audio Component Plug to his Pioneer Amp Sc 2023, linking Sub woofer 1-blue component jack; assignable CD In - white component jack and red component jack. The other end of this cable is a patch ethernet cable plugged into his patch switch feeding his lounge TV I think. He also has two optical cables in his Amp, one of which we know is directly linked all the way to his TV (big job) - we're not sure if the other optical cable is also lin ked to his TV or his PS Games TV? All very complicated - but if my installers have been baffled perhaps i shouldn't be so hard on myself!

Anyway, the matrix works perfectly at distributing signals from all three devices to all four TVs. I just need some sound advice, if you pardon the pun, as to how to distribute sound from my Crystal skull crusher to my Monitor Ceiling speakers. I welcome any constructive suggestions asap. Many thanks in anticipation. For the record I can stream music via the Amp using bluetooth but sound only comes through two front ceiling speakers, not five for some reason - any comments?

Enthusiastically Yours

Poddy Sparkles 

Stick your paintbrush in the sun ..... and paint all day!!!
43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Hello Peter,

Thank you for sharing some background titbits re your professional acumen. I didn't doubt for a moment your technical credentials - just wanted to know I was dealing with a Sony Employee/Guru - given I hadn't received any direct communication from Sony Technical Help Centre in Egypt following my initial enquiry for assistance raised 4th September!

Anyway, great hearing from you again.....a consequence of which is I'm now a proud 'Member' of the Community sporting my own personal 'sign off handle' for the very first time! Naturally, you are the first to see it!!! :slight_smile:

Thank you again for your welcome alternative solution with helpful diagram and 'product link' to IR Extender! I presume this was for illustration purposes only as I do have the spare HDBT Receiver and NeoLite Transmitter.

Anyway, I'll give it a shot and report back to you shortly. I'm wondering whether your assertion I will be unable to use the Samsung IR will interfere with access to the Smart functions of the TV ie Internet, iPlayer, and access to other HDMI sources, eg DVD,Blu Ray, HDD Recorder plugged into USB 3 on rear of TV?

Anyway, Onward and Upwards

Poddy Sparkles

Thanks again

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Good morning Poddy,

Good to hear from you again and congratulations to your 'member' rank :wink:

So you have a spare transmitter as well - that's good! In this case please see my recommendation as an illustration purpose only. Just replace the purposed items with your transmitter and receiver.

Regarding IR - sorry, don't wanted to confuse you. The HDBT receivers have an output where you can connect an IR transmitter to control your devices. I was not sure if you use these outputs so I just wanted to make sure you're aware of the issue that you would not be able to control your TV via HDBT receivers.

Of course you can control your TV using the remote commander that was supplied with your TV.

Please let me know if you were able to sort it out.

Good luck

Cheers

Peter

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Good Morning Peter, (11.10am UK Time), or should I call you 'early bird'?

Thank you for your very prompt and helpful confirmation I can use my existing spare HDBT Receiver and Transmitter! As they cost me £200 it will be money well spent if it ensures your 'alternative solution' works, I'll let you know as soon as I've followed your instructions!

Thank you also for clarifying I will still be able to use my Samsung Remote Controller(s) but not my Antiference Remote to control/Switch Device Inputs. A small price to pay if I get the beloved sound through my ceiling speakers. 

Mind you,Peter, it has just occurred to me and I pose the question after I have followed your latest guidance " Should I still be able to switch between my three devices, ie Freesat, DVD Recorder and Blu Ray Player using the IP address and Antiference Matrix Interface on my iPhone or iPad?

Onward and Upwards

Poddy Sparkles  :slight_smile:

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Good morning Poddy,

Yes, you should still be able to switch between the three devices.

The only change to your system is that you put the STR between your matrix and your TV. So the STR only picks-up the sound information and passes the signal to your TV. As you use the Network cables the additional transmitter and receiver is needed to convert the signal again after it has went trough the STR.

You can do a little test if sound will be OK if you connect the HDBT receiver to the matrix using a short network cable using the output that goes to your Samsung TV. Then connect the HDMI cable from the HDBT receiver to the STRs input. Now you should be able to playback sound from any of your three devices.

If that's working fine your can connect the STRs HDMI output to the transmitter, the transmitter to the network cable that goes to your Samsung TV and finally the spare HDBT receiver to your Samsung TV. That should do the trick and everything should work as expected.

Let me know if it works :wink:

Good luck and have a great day

Cheers

Peter

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Good Morning Peter,

Thank you for your helpful explanations. I'll get back to you soon with some feedback as to my progress!

Enthusiastically yours

Poddy Sparkles :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

A very Good Morning Peter :slight_smile:

Did you think I'd flown to Mars? I'm very sorry for the delay in replying - especially as I value your very prompt,courteous and technical advice!!! It's just that this unsatisfactory AV Installation and Reinstallation has been so 'all consuming', both in time and energy and money,well over twelve months in fact, I was exasperated and had to leave the project for a couple of days otherwise I'd be going 'nuts'!!

The break did me good, I've followed your advice,thank you,......and made some progress....albeit I still feel as though I've gone two steps forward BUT three back!

Anyway, here's my progress report!

I initially performed the 'little test' you suggested by connecting the HDBT Receiver to the Matrix using the Output to the Samsung TV and HDMI output from HDBT to STR's input/SAT/CatV and was delighted to confirm I obtained playback sound through all three devices! Brilliant! One big step forward!

I then connected the STR's HDMI output to the transmitter, the transmitter to the network cable that goes to my Samsung TV and LEFT the existing HDBT receiver, in situ and already connected, behind the Samsung TV. I did not receive a picture or sound using the STR's Output Zone 2, nor Out B, but did meet with success when I used Output A (ARC). Sound synced perfectly with the picture via HDMI 3 through all three devices! A Eureka moment! Brilliant. Two steps forward Peter! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!:smileyhappy:

Now the bad news! :anguished:

When you said I "would not be able to control my TV via HDBT Receivers" I thought that was simply the Antiference Remote ie the facility to switch devices while I'm sat in the lounge. This wasn't a problem as I can switch via the Antiference Matrix interface on my Network using my iPhone or iPad.

However, I have noted I cannot use any of my numerous remote controls to control the Freesat, DVD, Blu Ray or even the Amp for sound volume. I cannot retrieve a 'Programme Guide' on the TV screen via HDMI 3 in order to select a programme to view or record now, or at a later date! The only means open to me to change my viewing requirements in any shape or form is to leave the lounge,walk through my hallway and long kitchen/Diner into my study! 

Is this because I've used the ARc output by any chance? Should Zone 2 Output A have worked? (I note my STR does have an "Update" lit on the STR Display which I haven't actioned yet. Could this improve matters?)

Furthermore, I have noted I have lost all Freesat,DVD and Blu Ray signal to my Panasonic TV in my Kitchen/Diner for some inexplicable reason?

I'm not certain as to how my installer,Stuart, had previously wired my STR Amp but he noted he had produced sound through my ceiling speakers in our lounge but in doing so it had stopped all 'local' sound coming from the other three TV's in the house. Are these two latter issues in someway connected Peter?

I also note with my current configuration the Samsung TV only receives a signal when the STR is switched on. If the STR is switched on producing sound in my lounge and the TV is off I find this irksome - only because I have to manually control everything in my study and cannot physically view the Samsung TV screen to edit or adjust settings or programmes etc. So the Remote Controls are indeed essential for an enjoyable viewing and listening experience - something I still seem to be actively seeking despite our best endeavours to date!

Hope you are up to the challenge Peter.....this is indeed problemmatic and I welcome your reassuring and helpful advice!

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon.

Still enthusiastically yours......I've had to start kicking myself to remain enthusiastic mind :slight_smile:

Poddy Sparkles

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

An Afterthought Peter....re STR Software Update,

Would you mind revisiting and taking a look at Page One of my thread. You'll see the photo of my STR Display showing the Update Icon! Today, the only difference to that display is 'Zone 2' illuminated also.

I have just attempted to perform an update following the Instructions in the Sony leaflet! Obviously, I'm in my study pointing the STR Remote at the STR and note the Volume works as does 'Amp Menu,HDMI Output and the 15 buttons at the top of the Remote. However, the instructions state 'press Home,then select Settings,System settings,Network Update etc. 

I regret when I select 'Home' my Display on the STR does not change and remains as per the photo on page one of this thread - so no Software update available to me! What is going on here then?

Not so much Onward and Upwards, more like down and dispirited....and annoyed! Not with you for goodness sake - just the constant reminder I seem to be facing an intractable problem!

Any ideas Guru?

Cheers

Poddy Sparkles

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Poddy,

Sorry for my quite late reply - I haven't forgot you :wink:

I was on business trip last week and had no chance to reply to your post.

Happy to read some good news and happy to help you solving the bad ones.

Anyway, I need to dig a bit deeper into the materia of your set-up and probably will come back to you with some questions. Unfortunately I'm on business trip this week again - so please be patient with me.

I will come back to you next week.

Have a great day

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Poddy,

I'm back and read through your post.

Good to see that we made some progress. But in terms of remote commanders that's the issue I've foreseen.

Well, now the tricky part is how to solve this issue :S

Question: The transmitter/receiver combo you use to transmit the signal from the STR to your Samsung TV does this feature als a remote input/output? If yes, you can try the following: connect the IR receiver in your living room to the HDBT receiver. Then connect the IR transmitter to the HDBT transmitter that's connected to the STR and the other IR receiver to the other HBTV receiver that's also connected to your STRs input. Now comes the tricky part - establish an optical connection between the IR receiver and IR transmitter using e.g. a paper roll. Thus you shoudl be able to forward the IR signals to the Antiference control unit. It's not the ideal solution but the only one I can see for the moment. Problem for me is, that I need to try to fix everything remotly and cannot try and test directly.

I asume that the missing connection to your Pana TV is caused probably by a missing cable connection - maybe you should check all connection which are related to this TV.

Please let me know if this was helpful.

Have a great day

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Well, a very good morning Peter,:smileyhappy:

Poddy Sparkles receiving you loud and clear 07.00 am UK Time!! Over!!

I'm thankful to you for continuing our thread and applying your problem solving acumen even when away on two recent business trips! I had assumed you had simply gone away on 'holiday' and would return in the fullness of time - which you kindly have done - and I'm very grateful! I too have been away from home this past few days so I owe you an apology for my late reply. It's not as though I'm 'laid horizontal' and lethargic about resolving this major issue Peter - NOTHING could be further from the truth! Indeed, in your enforced "absence" I contacted the MD of the Manufacturer of the Matrix and delighted to confirm I made further and great progress! :trophy:

You will be delighted to learn the advice I received 'mirrored' the action you have just suggested in your last post with one additional and important gem! For the benefit of the Community and your understanding given the obvious frustration and difficulty applying solutions remotely, I document my steps taken namely,

1) HDMI from Humax Freesat into Antiference Matrix Input 1

2) Patch Cable from Matrix Output 1 (Lounge 4K TV) to HDBT IN Receiver in Comms Cabinet

3) HDMI OUT from the same HDBT Receiver to the STR DN 1050 HDMI IN (Sat/CATV)

4) HDMI OUT (Out A [ARC] ) from the STR DN 1050 to HDMI IN on NEO Transmitter in Comms cabinet

5) Patch Cable from NEO Transmitter to my Port 32 Switch in Comms Cabinet (Lounge)

6) Insert IR into RX Output on HDBT Receiver in Comms Cabinet

7) Insert IR into TX Output on Neo Transmitter in Comms Cabinet

😎 Mount NEO TX IR Bud onto the back of the other RX Output IR Bud. I needed my wife to shout out from the other room when the Freesat remote worked so I could position the buds correctly and secure them together with electrical tape and smother any light source. I left them alone to dangle in the Comms cabinet.

And the final gem Peter?

Simply to purchase an additional IR and insert into the 'Global' socket at the rear of the matrix and position the IR over the STR DN 1050's IR sensor on the front panel! This enabled me to control the STR from the lounge!

Eureke, Success!!! Brilliant!!! You should have seen my smiling face Peter:smileyhappy:......but only for one day,sadly!

My Humax Freesat device ceased to work! It powered up,blue light on but then immediately powered down leaving a red light on. It's 5 years old and has an LCD display but only displayed 'Boot' and hung there doing nothing! After many fruitless attempts I concluded I needed a new Freesat! Albeit 5 year old I hadn't used it for the past two years with moving to our new home and experiencing all the problems previously mentioned with our new AV environment! So I was surprised it should malfunction.

Anyway, I bought a new Humax Freesat HDR 1100S 14th October and installed it seamlessly. I even manged to update my STR's software using onscreen instructions on my TV, Brilliant!!! My new Software Version is S9602.1322.0 - am I up to date Peter?

Sadly, my attempts to record programmes became problemmatic and I noted the Freesat box automatically switched itself on and off repeatedly and randomly while viewing. Suddenly I've become suspicious of an inexplicable 'link' - not one Freesat device gone wrong but two!!

Hopefully, that's not a matrix problem, possibly aerial do you think? I must confess I've been moving my heavy Comms cabinet around regularly to access the rear of my devices and while it is no longer a 'rat's nest' nevertheless there is a plethora of cables and connections must get compromised! Anyway, your thoughts would be be welcomed on this one! Especially as the Freesat 'drives' the satellite signal!!!

Do I have any further significant issues? Certainly!

1) Active Sub Woofer (Cambrige Minx X300) doesn't appear to be working - only recently connected it to STR. Guidance welcome!

2) Panasonic TV in the kitchen automatically,repeatedly and randomly (and most annoyingly) switches itself from DV to HDMI4 (Freesat) . As the Freesat is proving problemmatic the TV jumps from a TV picture to a blank black screen. While I appreciate this is not a Sony product I wondered if there was a 'generic' solution to this problem Peter?

I welcome your helpful thoughts and advice as always.

Enthusiastically Yours

Poddy Sparkles :slight_smile: