Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Amp STR DN 1050 audio problem

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Sony Amp STR DN 1050 audio problem

Dear Community, Thalamus and any other Gurus,

This is my first "post,"a desparate one at that, but I think I should at least greet you all with a BIG Hello. I have been the proud owner of my Sony Amp STR DN 1050 since last October 2014, purchased from Richer Sounds in Chester, after reading a great review in Home Cinema Choice. Despite numerous attempts by three"professional installers", not to mention a great deal of time and money spent by yours truly,my AV system is still not up and running - hence my plea to the community for some valued professional advice!

I raised my issues with Sony Technical Support via email and phone September 2nd 2015 Case ID 13140305 but after speaking with Salem, Hazem and Mohammed in Egypt they admitted my query was so technically challenging it would have to be passed up the chain of command with a promise I should hear a result by Monday 21st......I'm still waiting and exasperated! Considering I raised my issue 2nd September I remain unimpressed!

Essentially, I purchased a brand new high quality home November 2013 boasting many 'Eco Features' including Cat 5e cabling for a comprehensive AV system throughout the home. In order to embrace thIs system I purchased an Antiference TruColour 4X4 Matrix with HDBaseT Outputs to distribute Digital TV, 4K,Freesat and DVD signals from three devices to three Panasonic TVs and a Samsung 4K TV in four separate rooms. All the cabling in the entire home is sourced from 'network" wall plates in every room to a Comms cabinet in my ground floor study. My three devices in the cabinet, Humax Freesat, Panasonic DVD Recorder and Panasonic Blu Ray player all feed HDMI's into the Matrix Inputs with corresponding Patch cable Outputs from the Matrix to a 48 Port Patch Panel in my Comms Cabinet. Consequently, I cannot use the 6 HDMI inputs on the STR DN1050 and have no sound coming through my Monitor ceiling speakers! 

My good friend has an identical Antiference Matrix and I noted only yesterday his installer has employed great ingenuity in "converting a patch plug' at one end to a triple Audio Component Plug to his Pioneer Amp Sc 2023, linking Sub woofer 1-blue component jack; assignable CD In - white component jack and red component jack. The other end of this cable is a patch ethernet cable plugged into his patch switch feeding his lounge TV I think. He also has two optical cables in his Amp, one of which we know is directly linked all the way to his TV (big job) - we're not sure if the other optical cable is also lin ked to his TV or his PS Games TV? All very complicated - but if my installers have been baffled perhaps i shouldn't be so hard on myself!

Anyway, the matrix works perfectly at distributing signals from all three devices to all four TVs. I just need some sound advice, if you pardon the pun, as to how to distribute sound from my Crystal skull crusher to my Monitor Ceiling speakers. I welcome any constructive suggestions asap. Many thanks in anticipation. For the record I can stream music via the Amp using bluetooth but sound only comes through two front ceiling speakers, not five for some reason - any comments?

Enthusiastically Yours

Poddy Sparkles 

Stick your paintbrush in the sun ..... and paint all day!!!
43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Good morning Poddy,

A big HURRAY :party:

Glad to hear that the basic functionality is working now - even if the solution was a bit unconventional :wink:

I can confirm that your STR is now up-to-date using the latest firmware S9602.1322.0

Regarding Subwoofer: Usually the subwoofer needs to be connected to the subwoofer output of the STR. In general this connection will be done using a RCA cable. Of course you need to set-up your STR correctly to activate the subwoofer in the speaker set-up menu. Anyway, guess your issue will be that the subwoofer shouldn't be placed in the coms cabinet. Therefore you need to bring the subwoofer signal to your living room. Any spare cables left?

But maybe I'm wrong and your subwoofer needs to be connected in a different way - can you share this information please? Unfortunately the Minx product page doesn't provide any information about the inputs of the subwoofer.

Panasonic & Freesat: Probably those problems are related to eachother. Does the TV switch to HDMI if you disconnect the Freesat receiver? If you disconnect the HDMI caböe of the freesat receiver - is it still switching on and off? If yes I would asume that there's a problem with the freesat receiver. If not the issue might be caused by the matrix. Another thing you can test is to deactivate the HDMI control function of the freesat receiver. Doing so the Panasonic TV shouldn't switch to HDMI input anymore.

Good luck and have a great day

Cheers

Peter

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

A very warm hello Peter!!!

Great to hear we are 'connected again, it's been a while, ha ha :slight_smile: Just wish all my devices  were similarly connected! Anyway, thank you for your technical support to date. I'm not signing you off just yet though, ha, and am grateful for your latter comments re my sub woofer and TV/Freesat. 

I'm on the case right now 09.35am UK time and will put your suggestions to the test and report right back to you with photos re the sub woofer.

Please keep a roving eye for my next post!

Regards

Poddy

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Hello again Peter,

TV Switching from DV to AV/HDMI

I've completely removed the Freesat Box from the comms Cabinet, disconnecting all the wiring from the Freesat device to the Matrix including both satellite feeds etc. The Panasonic TV (TX-P42G30B) in the Kitchen and Panasonic in the Master Bedroom (TX-32S500B) continue to switch automatically within a few seconds of transmitting a DV signal . The remaining Panasonic (TH-50PX70B) in the kid's bedroom and the 4K Samsung (UE55HU7500),however, do remain on DV which mystifies me. It suggests to me the problem is likely to be a 'local' one to the TV settings, would you agree Peter rather than the matrix?

Sub Woofer

The 'first phase' wiring for the sub woofer was completed during the house build so all I can see is the wall plate (photos enclosed).

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0037.JPGIMG_0038.JPGIMG_0210.JPGIMG_0211.JPGHope to hear from you soon Peter! In the meantime I'm in the process of uncabling another rat's nest an testing both Freesat devices particularly the aerial connections! 

Will update you as to my progress, welcome your feedback re the Sub woofer pics asap

Many thanks

Poddy Sparkles :slight_smile:

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Poddy,

Good to hear back from you :wink:

Reagrding Panasonic TV - well the next test I would propose is to exchange the "switching Panasonic" with another TV of your equipment to check if this effect is caused by the matrix or the TV itself. If the replacement TV is showing the same symptom I would asume that it's caused by the matrix or mybe the receiver.

In terms of subwoofer - OMG - this cable connection won't work. You need a shielded cable to connect your woofer to the amp. A standard speaker cable won't do the trick. Even if it would work you will have lot's of noise on the subwoofer signal. I asume that you can't change the cabling anymore - so in this case I would propose a wireless audio transmitter to transfer the signal from the STR to you woofer.

Hope that makes some sense

Have a great day

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

A Very Good Morning Peter,

I was relieved to hear from you today as I was up 6.00am today testing my TV and Freesat signals - still problem solving - but with your valued input - seem to be heading in the right direction even if still two steps forward and three back!! :slight_smile: Don't fall off your seat laughing now,will you? Actually, I'm not laughing Peter but patiently testing and retesting!

In this regard I have observed the following;

1. I removed the brand new Humax Freesat HDR completely from my system and the mains supply and disconnected the two satellite aerial leads. ALL FOUR TV's worked perfectly on DV signal without switching automatically to AV/HDMI. What can you deduce from this piece of information?
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Poddy,

Well, that sound's like an issue with the new freesat receiver - probably it sends a signal that causes the Panasonic to switch channels. If I remember correctly it wasn't happening with the old freesat receiver.

So issue could be indeed related to the new receiver - maybe a compatibility problem.

If you have the chance you should try to change this receiver.

Have a great day and don't worry - someday it everything will work as expected :wink:

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me, I take on board your valued comments re the Freesat. My previous message to you got interrupted and lost with 'not authenticated' so my apologies for not signing off with courtesy!

Could you please elaborate with further comments, in layman's language, re the sub woofer wiring and point me in the right direction for a wifi transmitter ie a link?. Why won't ordinary speaker cables suffice? I presume that is what is behind the terminal plate in my lounge so presumably that is inappropriate wiring for the sub woofer? I do understand my Cambridge X300 is an Active Sub, not certain what this means and how is it different from an Inactive sub? I recall my installer showing reticence at installing my new Cambridge Sub Woofer - sounds to me like another reason to criticise the 'first phase' wiring built into our new home!

I welcome your early response with thanks.

Poddy :slight_smile:

ps I value your encouragement,I am not giving up, I'm going to get this system fully operational, it's not going to beat me!!! 

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Poddy,

The subwoofer signal is a low voltage signal at a high impedance - means very low current. Thus a speaker cable which is not shielded works like an Antenna and collects all the noise from you surroundings.

You can give it a try - take the RCA cable you have cutted plug it into the subwoofers input and put your finger on the middle wire of the cable - you should hear an awful noise coming out of the woofer. Same would happen when using a non shielded cable.

If you would use a passive subwoofer the wiring would be fine as you have higher voltages at low impedances.

The differences between an active and a passive subwoofer is that the active subwoofer contains an internal amplifier while the passive one is a simple speaker.

Anyway, I haven't found a simple audio transmitter - therefore you might have to use an AV transmitter like this one.

Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Have a wonderful day

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
poddysparkles
Explorer

Hello Peter,  NEWSFLASH re FREESAT SERVICE

You deserve huge "Kudos" and "Acceptance of the Solution(s)", in bucket loads from Poddy Sparkles,Peter, in the very near future as this Thread has gone on sometime,wouln't you agree? Mind you, this AV system has sucked the very life out of me, ha ha :slight_smile:

I've spent the best part of 9 hours today observing,testing and trying to understand the malfunctions and inexplicable behaviour of my new Freesat box and my old one. In the end I phoned Humax Support this afternoon and guess what....

Update 27 October 2015

Over the last few days we have received reports that some customers are experiencing frequent reboots of their Humax Freetime boxes.  We are investigating the issue with the aim of resolving it ASAP and will update this page as soon as we know more.

In the meantime, if you are experiencing this issue the current advice is to perform a double factory reset of the box. The instructions to do this are as follows:

•    Perform a factory reset by going to Settings>System Settings>Factory default and selecting "Reset system"
    •    Follow these steps a second time straight away

If you can’t access the menu to perform a factory reset, due the box rebooting, remove the satellite feed and ethernet cable from the back of the box so only the power and HDMI cables are connected. Switch off and on the power to your box. You should then be able to access the menu.

You’ll need to re-set any scheduled recordings after a factory reset. 

Thanks for your patience with this issue.

Me again Peter! "Thanks for your patience with this issue" They are having a joke right? I'll do the factory reset and keep you posted. Apparently, Humax confirmed this won't affect any existing recordings on the hard drive, simply future scheduled ones! As for the TV's auto switching Humax led me to  believe this is an issue with the individual TV's HDMI CEC, I'm looking to switch off this function manually via Viera Link on my Panasonics, AnyNet + with my Samsung! Finally, thank you for the helpful explanation re Active and Passive sub woofers. Naturally, I much prefer and value even more the Active Cambridge Sub woofer I already own. I did not see the 'link' to the AV Transmitter you suggested in your last post - please forward the details again Peter. Many thanks Poddy Sparkles.....For once 3 steps forward and only 2 back! :slight_smile:
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Poddy,

At least it's good to see that we're not the only ones that recommend factory resets :grin:

Here's the link again: http://www.amazon.co.uk/607/dp/B00JKFGGAE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446126556&sr=8-3&keywords=audio+tr...

Good luck

Cheers

Peter