Join now - be part of our community!

14 month old Sony Bravia 50" faulty!? - Please Help!

JayPDC
Explorer

14 month old Sony Bravia 50" faulty!? - Please Help!

Just wondering if anyone here can help, particularly Sony?

We bought a 50" HD Sony Bravia Smart TV from our local Currys store in December 2013 as a Christmas gift for my parents. The TV was amazing and we chose it because it looks great, the thin design was cool and the picture quality was crisp and colourful...

However, we didn't take out the extended warranty with Currys (I don't believe in having to when buying something that's supposed to last) and was very shocked when the TV just developed a fault last week! The TV turns on and the menu still shows up, however the picture in the background and main TV picture is just vertical lines... there is also a a slight crackling/eclectrical sound coming from the back of it (is this dangerous?)...

Anyway, my brother was trying to handle the complaint with Sony and Currys but Sony have only offered 20% off the repair bill... a repair for a TV that's only 2 months out of its warranty!

Currys want £120 upfront for the TV to be looked at?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced any such problems and/or might know what I should do from here? The TV cost us £750 new (£800 but there was an instore £50 off offer), and was in use from Christmas Day 2013.

Come on Sony or Currys... do the right thing here please! something at this price should not have just developed a fault like this?

J

10 REPLIES 10
JayPDC
Explorer

Hi there, sorry to hear that... I thought I had updated this post as I got my issue resolved with both Sony and Currys... I can't remember the amount but Sony gave us a fraction of the cost back and Currys gave us the majority back which ended up being enough for us to buy a new TV from Currys again, a bigger and more modern one at that too! I can't remember who, but either Sony or Currys came and collected our old TV as part of the deal so it turned out OK in the end.

it depends how you paid for this and who you bought your TV from? If you paid by some form of Credit Card or Finance then the company that gave you the credit should be able to help, especially if it's not fully paid off yet so get into them. If you paid in cash then you'll have to keep at Sony and your reseller, don't give up!

They may offer you something but if the reseller is unwilling to then you need to haggle and put more pressure on both parties, I think the reseller needs to help you out here too.