Join now - be part of our community!

Any idea what is wrong with my KDL-50w656a?? Pic attached

chdavie11
Explorer

Any idea what is wrong with my KDL-50w656a?? Pic attached

Hi all,

My TV suddenly started playing up the other day. I turned it on after work to hear an unusual quiet but high pitch noise coming from it. When the screen came to life it had horizontal lines running across it.

After half an hour of this, the colours just started running vertically so you can't see anything except a blurry mess of colour.

I've switched it off, unplugged everything and reconnected the power a number of times but to no avail. Now it just shows a blank screen.

The image is displaying what I saw on the menu screen before it went blank. Any ideas what this issue might relate to? The TV is only 16 months old!!

Thanks in advance

KDL-50w656a issue

4 REPLIES 4
chdavie11
Explorer

P.s. this is what is should be showing:

SonyNav_482x271.png

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

If it's still under warranty, I think it's time to use it.

chdavie11
Explorer

Unfortunately it is just 4 months out!

I've done some more research and it seems to be related to the timing controller board. Just going to get a new one and whack it in
Ducatasti
New

I have the same problem, it appears to be endemic in Sony TV's. 

My TV made it to 17 Months then failed which is abbismal.  I have had 4 Sony TVs prior to this as well as Home Cinema components  that have lasted for many years.  There  definitely appears to be  a design defect as too many are failing with the same symptoms., lots of comments across the web. It is reasonable to expect well designed electronics to last for many years (my Samsung TV is 10 and still going well).

Did is you have any success locating The TCON Board and replacing it?