Join now - be part of our community!

Choppy sound with Audio Description

profile.country.GB.title
TheLarch
Explorer

Choppy sound with Audio Description

I have been experiencing a serious sound quality problem with Audio Description on a brand new Bravia KDL-32WD756. When Audio Description is enabled, the soundtrack goes choppy.

To be clear, the audio description track itself sounds perfect. It is the regular soundtrack of the television that is choppy. It sounds like a buffer related problem to me, as it seems to get worse when the soundtrack becomes complex.

It doesn't seem to happen on all programmes, but the other evening it was affecting all the programmes I could find to try on ITV HD (e.g. Coronation Street etc.) and on Channel 5 HD. I tried BBC 1 and 2, and they seemed OK - although there might have been the occasional glitch, it wasn't happening constantly. It didn't seem to be happening on the equivalent SD channels. There was no problem with reception, and another television was not showing the same problem.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? Is there anything to be done about it?

The television is on firmware v8113, as supplied. There is an update to v8114, but it doesn't say anything about fixing an AD problem. As it's a huge download for me, I'd rather avoid updating if it's not going to fix the issue.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I know you dont want to hear this, but considering your other issue HERE as well, I honestly think its for the best to update the firmware.  Sony are rather useless in regards to detailing the changelog in a firmware update - but there are far far far more issues that get fixed than what they say.

Once you have done the firmware update - factory reset the TV, as this clears any outstanding issues that may be 'stuck' in internal memory.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
TheLarch
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus. Thanks for the response.

I've now updated the firmware to v8114, but the problem is still there.

Edited to say: I've just realised I forgot to do the factory reset on the television - will do it as soon as I get the chance.

I'm now in a quandary. I reported this to Sony Support (via the website) on Tuesday, but have had no response so far. If it's a problem with the set, that can be resolved by a replacement, then that's great. Otherwise unless a fix is likely in the near future, I am going to have to return it to the shop, which would be a shame as there are so many things to really like about the set.

Although I have also been having severe lipsync problems between the television and an HT-XT3 sound base, and if the update hasn't sorted those then that's another reason for returning it, as I uderstand that is a longstanding issue with Sony kit which has not been properly addressed.

Surely there must be someone else out there with a set from the same model range who has either encountered the same issue, or who uses Audio Description (or knows someone who does) and can categorically say it doesn't happen for them.

profile.country.GB.title
TheLarch
Explorer

Sorry to follow up my own post, but I've confirmed that the problem is still present.

Bringing up Home and Away on Channel 5 HD just now, and turning on AD, the sound was chopping badly. Weirdly it was initially OK after the commercial break, but after switching away to another channel and back (and reenabling AD), it returned.

It was apparently choppy for about half a minute at the start of each half of Neighbours, but then cleared up.

And the other evening there were occasions when it was initially fine, then the problem started to manifest itself after a while.

So very, very inconsistent behaviour, but manifesting itself frequently enough that Sony ought to be able to reproduce it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Like your other issue - I have not seen this issue reported on your model, or any other model to be honest.  It is also hard to know what to advise you as well - I can only assume that either you have a faulty TV or you have discovered a bug.

I am also escalating this thread to Sony Support for them to assist.  Please let me know how you get on, and likewise I;ll post back if I hear anything.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
TheLarch
Explorer

Hi again, Quinnicus.  Thanks for looking into this.

Yes, perhaps the set is faulty - it seems odd that a fault can be so subtle yet so consistent, but I'll be speaking to the retailer tomorrow.

At least it's an interesting opportunity for me to learn a little about how the regular and AD streams are carried. I'm trying to work out if there's any obvious characteristic that distinguishes the programmes that display the problem and those that don't, but haven't really got anything yet!