Join now - be part of our community!

Dark shadows on edge of screen

Sumo999
New

Dark shadows on edge of screen

I bought a Sony Kdl-60w855b TV and after I set it up I noticed down the sides and the corners there's dark shadows when the screen has light colours on it. I sent it back and got a replacement sent out but the new one has the exact same issue. I'm wondering if it's built that way or it's a faulty batch. When watching TV or playing a game it is less noticeable but still there on light scenes. Is it worth sending back for another screen or just get my money back and get a different make?

6 REPLIES 6
Rikachu
Explorer

Not sure if this is part and parcel of LCD/LED technology.

I too have this issue on my 65x8507, but not sure if I should risk swapping it and getting a worse set. It's especially noticeable on lighter scenes... actually, starting Netflix makes it evident due to the white background. Kinda make it look like an old fashioned photo with the dark corners!

Would like to stay in the loop incase this is indeed a bad batch?

Sumo999
New

I'm wondering if all the TVs have this to a certain degree, but most people don't notice or are use to uniformity on the screens.

Same Model, Same issue, tv is only a few weeks old but noticed this from day one. - was put through to Sony by AO.com who told me to perform a software update. Unfortunately the software is the latest so nothing going there - will need to get back on the phone to customer services. Not happy at all - almost convinced myself that I was being totally OCD but when you have a plain white screen or the Sky Blue Screen it is completely visible.

Bobby

Sumo999
New

Don't let sony fob you off with a replacment from there factory, they are recertified TVs which mean they have been returned and fixed. Tell AO.com you want a new TV its up to them to replace a new product under the sale of goods act, don't let them fob you off. I had 2 Sony TV both with same fault, in the end I went for a 55" curved Samsung TV. Smaller than the Sony and no 3d but picture perfect and latest model with latest software.

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

Many LCD TVs suffer from darker corners and edges, especially thin edge-lit models. It may be worse in larger TVs. This is one of the many problems with LCD. Here you can see this, and other uniformity problems, in various models:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-test-results/gray-uniformity-dirty-screen-effect-dse

Sumo999
New

Thanks for the reply, I had seen that site before but this was different as you could see them when different pictures were on, plus getting 2 TVs delivered with the same fault in the same place a bad design of a faulty batch. The fact someone else has same problem with the same model TV from the same shop would suggest a bad batch. When spending a £1000.00 on a TV I want a good picture. I don't get any of these problems on the Samsung I bought instead.