Join now - be part of our community!

iplayer subtitles on BIV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
woody121
New

iplayer subtitles on BIV

Do anyone know the current status regarding the absence of iplayer subtitles on the Bravia internet TVs?

Is the BBC aware of this?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

The 2010 TV's basically use the Freesat version of iPlayer, also used on several other manufacturers devices. So I have a feeling this is an MHEG limitation rather than a Sony limitation. It may well be that this flavour of iPlayer cannot support subtitles or would require substantial BBC engineering to deliver it, and mindful it's not actively being developed, it might not happen unfortunately.

As the screenshot shows, this would be a standard issue across any MHEG iPlayer device, so I doubt it's limited to Sony.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
keithd60
Visitor

Since purchase the BBC iPlayer on my end 2010 Bravia (KDL-32EX503) has not supported subtitles. This was of no initial concern as the iPlayer Accessibility help page entitled 'How do I get subtitles?' states 'At the moment subtitles are not available, however we will be adding them soon'. Given that Sony test all Apps before accepting them into BIV content, Sony must be aware of the issue along with the clear commitment to fix it.

I am aware that the iPlayer on this model is of the MHEG Freesat variant and that the BBC introduced a new MHEG iPlayer for TV's last Summer. I am also aware the new iPlayer is dependant on the TV being Freeview HD dbook 6.2.1 compliant which unfortunately Bravia 2010 Freeview HD models are not. I understand the 2011 models using new hardware introduced HTML support and use the HTML iPlayer variant so are not subjected to this problem.

While it may not be possible to provide an update to make 2010 models fully dbook 6.2.1 compliant, I enquire as to whether an update can be provided to give a suitable device platform for the BBC to provide an iplayer with subtitle support and meet the commitment stated above.

Having patiently waited so far to no avail I invite someone from Sony to reply with their explanation for the long overdue solution to this problem.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

This question may be better asked of the BBC as they run the service themselves, but as it doesn't look like they will be adding an HD feed to the service, I'm not sure that they will be adding subtitles either. As you've pointed out, most of their resource is being put into new HTML based services aas opposed to legacy MHEG services.

Thanks

keithd60
Visitor

The question has been asked of the BBC and the content of their reply is as follows:

****************************************************************************************************************************
Reference CAS-1209141-8G0MR4

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support team.

I understand that you would like to access subtitled content on BBC iPlayer via your Sony internet enabled TV.

Whilst we would like to make subtitles universally available, unfortunately due to technical limitations, we are unable to deliver subtitles via every platform.

The BBC is committed to universal accessibility for all and you can view our Accessibility Policy here:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/access_iplayer/

Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer.

Kind Regards
****************************************************************************************************************************

The point to note from the BBC reply is they are unable to deliver subtitles due to platform related 'technical limitations'. This raises the question what needs to be done to the 2010 Bravia platform just for it to allow the BBC to deliver subtitles with their current MHEG iPlayer and thus finally meet the longstanding commitment shown in the following iPlayer HELP page on my Sony IPTV:

ip subt hlp.JPG

I should point out no such commitment is made for the provision of an HD feed.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

The 2010 TV's basically use the Freesat version of iPlayer, also used on several other manufacturers devices. So I have a feeling this is an MHEG limitation rather than a Sony limitation. It may well be that this flavour of iPlayer cannot support subtitles or would require substantial BBC engineering to deliver it, and mindful it's not actively being developed, it might not happen unfortunately.

As the screenshot shows, this would be a standard issue across any MHEG iPlayer device, so I doubt it's limited to Sony.

Thanks

ME TOO