Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65S9005B not streaming 4K videos.

livictor
Explorer

KD-65S9005B not streaming 4K videos.

Please can anyone confirm if this model really streams 4K videos? I recently bought this item and now am concerned that whether it supports 4K online streaming. I have got very good and consistent speed of broadband fibre internet connection of 50Mbps. But when I use in-app Youtube to watch 4K videos, it could do only 11Mbps by far in terms of connectivity speed hence the video resolution could deliver only 1,920 × 1,080 at best. 

The same goes with Netfilx and Amazon UHD videos. The picture quality is good but not up to the mark as it should be with 4K videos. Unfortunately cannot confirm the streaming speeds for these apps, as there is no option available to check.

It would be nice if someone can confirm my concern.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I can confirm that this is a 4K tv.  This tv supports the HEVC (X.265) codec to stream 4K content from Netflix and other sources (i.e. 4k resolution from hdmi output from computer.)

Unfortunately YouTube use a codec called VP9 for their 4K content, which this tv does not support as far as I am aware.

Cheers

Chris-4k-please
Explorer

I have got an 55X8505B (4K from 2014) and the only 4k-content I was probably able to see was via netflix. I feel cheated because still today the Sony-build-In Mediaplayer only supports 1080p. I also tried the USB-Port with native 4k-Content but the result wasn't 4K!

I bought a 4K-TV! So how can I use this?

"To stream content that isn't via Netflix in native 4K, you'll need something called a HEVC decoder in order for it to properly work on your Bravia TV. Most of you Bravia owners shouldn't have to worry, as all of our 2014 TV models come with these built-in already." source: Sony IFA 2015 Press Conference

a) netflix (some nice native content but you have to pay for it extra) looks really great!

b) with tan extra expensive 4k-Player from Sony: FME-X5 (which content?)

c) no youtube, vimeo streaming

d) no DLNA streaming (I thought I could send 4k-content from my computer to the TV)

e) via HDMI (but only with HEVC-Codec - who does support this?)

f) any streaming?

g) other methods?

Result: ONLY NETFLIX?

Chris-4k-please
Explorer

It would be nice to have a list of how to use native 4k sources - hopefully more and more in future...