Join now - be part of our community!

KDL 40R453C quiet audio from optical port

daveben
Explorer

KDL 40R453C quiet audio from optical port

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has seen the following:

I have optical audio output connected to an external surround sound system. I have the digital audio output option set to AUTO (not PCM). The TV correctly outputs the audio to the SS sytem and switches nicely between PCM, DD2.0 and DD5.1 depending on the source material.

However, the volume is not very high when the TV is using its own tuner. If I select any HDMI input (and on one of these I have an SVR-HDT500) the audio volume is what I expect it to be (based on my previous Tv which was KDL 32EX403). If I then switch the TV to its own tuner and the exact same channel that the SVR-HDT500 was on, the volume drops dramatically.

None of the TV's audio settings affect this as they only apply to the in built speakers and not the digital output. I have tried with both the internal speakers enabled and disabled, and with the output mode set to PCM. Nothing affects the digital output level.

I tried Sony support but eventually got the following next to useless reply:

In regards to your enquiry, kindly be advised that your TV’s software is up to date. Regarding the low sound when connecting external sound systems via Optical or HDMI ARC, Please be advised it’s within specification of the device to comply with Nordic D-Book7A requirements.

In other words - the output volume is low and its tough, you're going to have to live with it. Which is fine, until you can't turn the SS system up loud enough anymore as its input source is too low!

Anyone else seen this or know if this can be fixed?

Thanks

Dave

0 REPLIES 0