Join now - be part of our community!

KDL40EX503 wifi connection to EE Brightbox?

Jamesgarside
Explorer

KDL40EX503 wifi connection to EE Brightbox?

I have a wifi dongle for my Sony tv which I have been using for years.  Now I have changed my internet provider to EE and have a new Brightbox router.  I can't make the tv connect to the wifi as it used to.  I can see the wifi signal on the tv, I follow the setup instructions, I put in the wifi key and press connect.  It connects to the router device but says local access failed and Internet access failed. I don't understand why it won't connect.  The security on the router is WPA2-PSK (AES).  I have connected several other devices to the router today e.g. Apple TV, iPhone, printer. Internet access is fine on all other devices on the router.

Any suggestions? Could the UWA-BR100 dongle no longer be compatible with the latest router comms technology? How can I get it to connect up?

please help .  James

6 REPLIES 6
Jamesgarside
Explorer

Ps I checked that I have the latest firmware on the tv. I do

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

How far away is the Brightbox from the tv?  If its relatively close, why not use an ethernet cable instead?

If that is not an option, how strong is the wireless signal that the dongle is picking up (i.e. how many bars).  Try using the break-away extension that came with the wireless dongle.

Cheer

Jamesgarside
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestions.  The router is too far away for a cable, but I am using the dongle extension cable as I have done for years.  The signal is 3 or 4 bars.  The TV can easily detect the router signal - it appears in the list and allows me to put in the router password.  The Tv says it has connected to the router (so the signal strength is not the problem) but it says it has no local connection or internet connection. 

Could it it be a security compatibility problem as the router is brand new and the Tv is a few years old now?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was what I wad thinking.  Try changing the wireless security on the brightbox - at least as a test anyhow.

Specs of dongle are:

_20151121_141726.JPG

Jamesgarside
Explorer

Thanks.  I tried WPA, WPA2 but they didn't work.  When I switched to WEP It did work and the TV connected, but now every device in the house has to be on WEP with a new password. 

I still don't understand why WPA and WPA2 don't work, as the dongle says it is compatible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont really understand thar either to be honest.  So its all trial and error.

A couple of other suggestions

• Try TKIP encryption instead of AES?
  • Ever thought of Homeplugs for a wired connection?