Join now - be part of our community!

KDL50W829BBU Picture settings?

johnk29
Explorer

KDL50W829BBU Picture settings?

I am having issues getting the best from my tv set? I have looked everywhere for the perfect setup and everything I have tried just dont work..

Cartoons have jagged edges and hd content shows a slight judder (ie. people turning their heads etc) I have scene set to cimema and motion set to true cinema as that seems to be the best so far.. everything else seems do dim the screen far to much.. 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The problem is, the perfect setup for one person doesnt transfer to the perfect setup for another.  We all like our pictures and settings differently, as well as different room conditions (ie layout-distance/brightnesss etc). 

Its also hard to know how to advise without knowing the settings that you have.  First thing to do though is turn OFF all Eco settings in the system menu.  Can you list what picture settings you do have (inc advanced settings)?

Have a read of this FAQ anyhow:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how-tos-faqs-tvs-home-cinema/faq-best-picture-settings/ba-p/1821711

Cheers

johnk29
Explorer

yeh I have the following..

eco is off

Cimema. 1

BL. 5

contrast. 85

brightness. 50

colour. 50

hue. 0

colour temp. warm 1

noise reduction. all off

reality creation. auto

smooth graduation. off

motion flow. true cinema

film mode. off

black corrector. off

adv contrast. off

gamma. -1

auto light limiter. off

clear white. off

live colour. off

white balance. default

detail enhancer. off

edge enhancer. off

skin. off

Dark scenes are very blocky and still see jagged edges on both hd and sd content. and notice some scenes are out of focus.

hope this helps 

johnk29 ;~)

Ross1974
New

I'm having the exact same issues.
I've had set 2 weeks and have fiddled with every setting and have got used to the picture but the issue I have is same as above I get a judder on most programmes even on hd. It's not even on sports and fast moving action it's on everyday programmes or when it pans out or across.
This can't be normal for top end Sony set surely.
I have even had sky engineer out today and he replaced my sky hd box and it's still juddering.
Not impressed is it worth swapping it for another set as I got it from john Lewis only 2 weeks ago
dofla84
New

I'm having the same issue. Watching football on my TV is very poor and the TV doesn't refresh well when sky sports shows a reply and flashes back to the live play, goes jumpy/judery. At the min I regret buying this TV. I took the 5 year cover with currys and it was taken away to fix a fault with the 'smart' TV function. I am confused as to how this set has such high reviews?? I am considering selling the TV and taking a hit of a few hundred to return to my original LCD LG or to buy a newer LG as picture and refresh quality seems far higher.
profile.country.GB.title
alex30

Hi,

I wrote a fairly in depth review on Amazon called   "A Jack Of All Trades And A Master of One" It is for the 55 inch model but will suite the 50 inch just as well as they are built the same.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL55W829B-55-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B00J32PA9W/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

It includes suggested settings. 

Out of the box I found the TV to have a terribly over processed picture with jaggies and blurring but I am now happy with my results.

Have a look at the review and see what you think, you may find it helps.

If it does could you please give it a vote so that others will be able to find it easily if they visit the page ?

Cheers and good luck.

dofla84
New

Thanks Alex. I must try this out. Will post findings. Did it work for you?
profile.country.GB.title
alex30

Hi,

Yes, when I got my settings sorted the picture was all I wanted it to be. It is sharp ,has good motion handling (even without engaging any Motionflow - and infact Motionflow was softening my pictures) and has great colour.

What I can't say though, is that you will like the same result as me or that your individual TV will give exactly the same results. Give it a go and do please post findings.

One thing to bear in mind is that some standard definition stuff will look ropey. I have yet to see a Full HD TV that upscales SD to a really high standard.

Good Luck !

Muyaar
New

I use these 

had the same issue as yourselves: 

I ad a bit more to the color 

In Eco Settings (Home/Settings/System Settings): Power Saving - Off......... Scene Select Sync - Off ......... Light Sensor - Off

Scene Select : General
Picture Mode : Standard.... .(Many choose Scene Select: Cinema ........Picture Mode : Cinema 1 - Brighter than Cinema 2 )
Backlight : 7...( I have tried from 3 [Night] to 8 [day] but 7 seems a good day/night compromise whilst using bias lighting at night)
Contrast : 80...(At this level I get all the highlight detail and whites are punchy enough for me. Much higher and faces can look glossy )
Brightness : 48.....(At 48 full black screens are a tad deeper than if set to 50 at the cost of a tiny bit of shadow detail. I think it's worth it)
Colour : 50......(much higher and some faces can look sunburned )
Hue : 0
Colour Temperature : Neutral......( I also like warm2 but prefer the slightly cooler , clean look of neutral)
Sharpness : 50
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
Dot Noise Reduction : Off.......(I don't like to use any noise reduction unless essential as it can soften the image)
Reality Creation : Off (For BluRay) / Manual (For DVD and TV Aerial- With Resolution 20 and Noise Filtering Min)..( Tricky one this as Reality Creation can improve some pictures but there is a danger of stressed edges and overdone detailing. It is useful for anything that is not true 1080p but has been upscaled (DVD/SDTV) or for heavily compressed signals (HDTV). It is not good for BluRay due to the undesirable Noise Filtering which cannot be turned off. I find the Auto setting may improve some images but can be way too aggressive for others. Experiment !!)
Smooth Gradation : Off......(If on it can soften the picture and I have never noticed a benefit)
Motionflow : Off......(Perhaps Standard for fast sport such as football but due to how Motionflow works it can cause some slight double imaging and softening so you may want to leave it off at all times, as I now do.)
Film Mode : Auto.......Sets the correct cadence for films so should be set to auto.

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector : Off......(Can rob shadow detail)
Advance Contrast Enhancer : Off......( Not needed and may rob shadow detail and overcook the whites and so lose highlight detail as well)
Gamma : Minus 1
Auto Light Limiter : Off......( I am happy for bright parts of a scene to look bright, having set my contrast and backlight how I want them)
Clear White : Off......( Just tints the whites with blue)
Live Colour : Off ......( If On colours look artificial to me but maybe try low if you want more intense colours )
White Balance : Gains = Red -3 Green -8 Blue 0 All bias values at 0...( These values are to reduce green a little but raise blue in relation to the others . It had to be done by reducing green and red because there is no option to directly increase the blue value. Skin tones are a good test of colour. If these appear too red at this setting try nudging the green back up.)
Detail Enhancer : Medium......( Experiment with Reality Creation and Detail Enhancer but watch for stressed edges if they are set too high)
Edge Enhancer : Off......(Can actually destroy detail)
Skin Naturaliser : Off......( Whilst smoothing out skin texture it does remove detail.)