Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix shows movies/shows in 16:9 instead of original 1.78:1

SOLVED
QueenSheba

Netflix shows movies/shows in 16:9 instead of original 1.78:1

My TV is KDL-55HX855

Comparing image in Netflix app on TV, iPad and PC its pretty clear on the Sony TV everything is stretched. It doesn't matter which format it originially has (old, new movies same), the app on the TV will stretch the image a tiny bit making sure it fits perfectly in the frame of 16:9. This is hardly noticeable, but for me who's picky about these things its very annoying.

The big problem is you cannot change screen control (skjermkontroll in Norwegian) on internet content. On my HDMI channels it's set to wide and no matter what format plays there it will always show correct.

If I play the Matrix on Netflix (which is very wide format), it will offcourse not fit the screen to 16:9, but have small black bars up and below picture, which it should. However, it is still a bit stretched (or squeezed upwards is a better description).

Anyone else have this problem? It's really annoying. It just doesn't make sense to me why the Netflix app on the TV is a tiny bit stretched (or squeezed). You wont notice it unless you compare with your pc/ipad image. Then its very clear. Heck I've been watching Netflix on my TV since last summer and only now did I notice. Most noticeable with cars in the image, they seem a bit skinny, like squeezed. Sorry if I'm not explaining well.

Any tip is welcomed!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
QueenSheba

Ok, this is really weird.

I just played a DVD of Longmire on my Blurayplayer. And it's the same image problem there. So Im starting to think it's not the Netflix app, but the TV itself. I read about a guy having similar problems, offcourse I cannot find that now. He had a different Sony TV, but it appeared that his TV wasn't full HD ready (allthough advertised as), mentioning missing something like 30mm for a full 16:9 format. That's 1,5cm each side. I'm starting to think that's the problem I've got as well, it certainly would explain the squeezed image! So it must also inflict when I watch via tuner. Funny though, I've never noticed anything as the aspect ratio seems to be normal there when comparing. but now I'm starting to get angst it's always been squeezed there as well (allthough a quick test shows its normal). Another funny thing, is my pc is connected to the TV. And watching movies via the TV from my pc, the format is normal. So I'm becoming very confused here, it'd be simpler if the squeeze problem was on everything. Edit: No, I just watched Netflix via chrome via pc to tv (hdmi) and it's still squeezed. So it appears all a squeezed image on internet content, pc source and bluray. Tuner and chromecast has normal aspect ratio. This shouldnt be possible as there is a full image edge to edge on all sources, so why th differnce?

Suppose I just have to live with it... buying a new TV is a no no as I'm thrilled with this one, finally got the display settings/colors I'm happy with, which I spent months trying to get right to my liking. Oh well 😕

Embarassing I only found this out now, have had this TV for many years. But only noticed it when I compared to other images on ipad, pc, even the phone. Me being so picky about correct aspect ratio, colors etc. it's funny how I've never noticed this watching tv in general, as mentioned before most easily noticeable on cars that seems "skinny". But you really need an image to compare to, or you just wont see it.

So I guess my TV has that sad lack of 30mm to make it correct 16:9. What the hell was Sony thinking!!

I've given up here....

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
QueenSheba

I should also mention this seems to be the issue with the Netflix app in the Sony Bluray player I have as well. So I assume it's just the app on the sony devices itself? Nothing to be done about it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In the Screen Display settings, what happens when you set the display area to Full Pixel?

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/AE7H100511/ENG/c_picscrn_size.html

Cheers

QueenSheba

Hi Quinnicus,

I actually already tried that, sadly to no avail. The reason full pixel doesn't work (I think) is because it only applies to the HDMIs, not internet content. But from what I can see, the full pixel sorta only "zooms out/show full", it doesn't affect aspect ratio/zoom/pixels on Netflix. Thanks for the tip though

I have played wtih every picture/screen setting possible on the TV, but still no matter what, the Netflix app seems "fixed"/unaffected. On the HDMIs everything is perfect though.

I wonder if anyone else with Sony TVs have the same issues, that is if they have noticed?

QueenSheba

Ok, this is really weird.

I just played a DVD of Longmire on my Blurayplayer. And it's the same image problem there. So Im starting to think it's not the Netflix app, but the TV itself. I read about a guy having similar problems, offcourse I cannot find that now. He had a different Sony TV, but it appeared that his TV wasn't full HD ready (allthough advertised as), mentioning missing something like 30mm for a full 16:9 format. That's 1,5cm each side. I'm starting to think that's the problem I've got as well, it certainly would explain the squeezed image! So it must also inflict when I watch via tuner. Funny though, I've never noticed anything as the aspect ratio seems to be normal there when comparing. but now I'm starting to get angst it's always been squeezed there as well (allthough a quick test shows its normal). Another funny thing, is my pc is connected to the TV. And watching movies via the TV from my pc, the format is normal. So I'm becoming very confused here, it'd be simpler if the squeeze problem was on everything. Edit: No, I just watched Netflix via chrome via pc to tv (hdmi) and it's still squeezed. So it appears all a squeezed image on internet content, pc source and bluray. Tuner and chromecast has normal aspect ratio. This shouldnt be possible as there is a full image edge to edge on all sources, so why th differnce?

Suppose I just have to live with it... buying a new TV is a no no as I'm thrilled with this one, finally got the display settings/colors I'm happy with, which I spent months trying to get right to my liking. Oh well 😕

Embarassing I only found this out now, have had this TV for many years. But only noticed it when I compared to other images on ipad, pc, even the phone. Me being so picky about correct aspect ratio, colors etc. it's funny how I've never noticed this watching tv in general, as mentioned before most easily noticeable on cars that seems "skinny". But you really need an image to compare to, or you just wont see it.

So I guess my TV has that sad lack of 30mm to make it correct 16:9. What the hell was Sony thinking!!

I've given up here....