Join now - be part of our community!

SONY blocks 4K UHD DLNA even on ethernet wire !

louis8888
Explorer

SONY blocks 4K UHD DLNA even on ethernet wire !

Hi,

I have a 55 inch 1080p SONY tv that enable me to play H264.mov from my iPhone, I would like to replace it with a 4K UHD TV but SONY blocks 4K DLNA, DLAN should not bother about the type of file streamed, so it is SONY that decided that customers where childs and would not understand possible lags on wifi or slow networks.
 I understand that 50mbits or even 75mb flux should go preferably through 1000Gb wired Ethernet, and I do not understand that SONY blocked DLNA, so this is a marketing limitation !!!

I sent a message about it to sony support, if no response, i would be obliged to buy a Panasonic that enable 4K over DLNA, what a shame.

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DK.title
Merlins_Apprentice

What Sony TV do you have. I just tried playing a 4K movie that i have filmed with my Sony Xperia Z5 compact to the TV without any problems using Universal Media Server that I have installed on my personal computer. 

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

I just shot some 4k footage on my Nexus 6 and then beamed it over wifi to my Sony TV's built in chromecast via bubbleupnp from my phone and it worked flawlessly. 

profile.country.DK.title
Merlins_Apprentice

Does the build in chromecast support 4K? I don't think BubbleUPNP does but i must be wrong.

UMS have added support for 4k videos by automatically scaling them to a resolution that the renderer supports.

So I would say if the rendere supports 4K and you choose to play it without enconding it should play in 4K.

Maybe im wrong.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Bubbleupnp uses external player to render the video I think. In my case I'm guessing it was either mx player pro or Vlc as they are the only two I have installed. 

Maybe it downsamples them to stream?