Join now - be part of our community!

TV set loses signal when BlueRay disc system is on

profile.country.da_DK.title
kelstrup
Visitor

TV set loses signal when BlueRay disc system is on

I have a Bravia KDL-40LX900 tv set and a BDV-F700 BlueRay/DVD/CD player. They were bought together about two months ago. They are connected using a HDMI cable. HDMI.based remote control integration for tv set and disc system is not enabled.

"Everything" works in the sense that I can play back a DVD or a BlueRay disc, and I can watch tv when the disc system is powered off.

Only one thing does not work: If I turn on the disc system, the TV set immediately loses its signal, and the screen becomes black, displaying a note saying something like "Bad tv signal".

If I power off the disc player, the tv image returns.

Only the image is gone - all the information about what is on etc. is still present.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Wow that must be frustrating. Have you tried disconnecting the HDMi cable from both devices and turning it on to see if it is some kind of RF interference. Then try a different HDMI cable possibly.

Need to try and establish where the problem is originating...

muerto
Visitor

thanks for information...

bmassey
Visitor

Just signed up on here today in a fit of frustration having experienced similar issues to you! Not sure if you still have the problem but for what its worth......

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40HX803 TV with Sony HDD Recorder HXD995 and Blu Ray Player BDPS480 both connected via HDMI (also Xbox 360 via HDMI, Original Xbox via Scart and Sony Camcorder via HDMI).

All was working fine before today - I could have the TV on, the Blu Ray on and the HDD recorder on, all at the same time, switch between all of them and see all channels including HD channels etc as expected with all units running.

I then decided this morning to do a tidy up of the rats nest of cables at the back and label everything, so switched it all off, disconnected everything, labelled it all up and reconnected everything just as it was before.

Only difference now was that when I had the TV on and then switched either the Blu Ray or HDD recorder on, all BBC channels apart from the BBC HD channels suddenly lost the signal. No signal at all. Turn off the Blu ray and HDD Recorder and the signal comes back!! I was baffled to say the least.

I updated the firmware on the HDD recorder, as the Sony site suggested that may help - but no difference. Retuned all channels on TV and HDD recorder box but again no use.

I then refitted the TV aerial plug on to the external RF cable as it was suggested that may help on various other websites. It seemed to help a little as it started to get a scrambled signal this time when the boxes where switched on, rather than no signal at all.

I then powered the whole lot off down to power plug level and the started it all up again - TV, then HDD recorder, then Blu Ray. Signal slowly improved on the BBC channels and after an hour or so of leaving all boxes on everything seemed to have settled and be working again.

I read internet postings of HDMI cables and RF cables sending out strong signals which interfere with each other so I tried to pull the cables away from each other as much as possible which may have helped.

Don't know if any of that will help you or anyone else but the symptoms sounded similar and equally annoying so hopefully it may give you a couple of thigs to try.

PS - I was under time pressure also as my wife was going mental that I had knackered the telly and Downton Abbey was scheduled to record tonight....phew 😉

Good Luck

airefc
Explorer

Its the hdmi cable. I have a cheaper cable and it loses/scrambles the signal when you turn on the blu ray player. Plug in a more expensive one and it doesnt lose reception. Try one with different shielding or try moving the cables around.

profile.country.GB.title
danharvs
Explorer

This is the exact problem I've had. Also tried the same things as you. Did you figure out a solution in the end??

Dan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As this thread is over 4 years old, its unlikely that you will recieve an answer from the original poster.

Some suggestions for you:

1. Purchase a decent quality HDMI cable that is 'shielded'
  2. Purchase a decent quality aerial lead that is 'shielded'
  3. Separate the HDMI cables from the aerial cable away from each other when you have it connected up to the TV - i.e. dont bundle them altogether.
  4. Try purchasing some clip on 'ferrite cores' - this has personally helped me in the past.

Cheers

andhamil
New

I've been tearing my hair out over the past few days with this. I have shielded HDMI and aerial cables kept well apart from each other. Starting to wonder if the DVD/Blu Ray recorder is defective. I can see the signal strength and quality on the Bravia TV - quality just goes to 0 when the dvd player is switched on - I will see if disconnecting the

HDMI lead from both units makes any difference.